Fondant Crumbly!!!! Please Help

Baking By undecided Updated 16 Jan 2013 , 12:05am by undecided

undecided Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
undecided Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 5

ok, i am soooo frustrated....I  have spent a fortune trying to make this work  :(

i was using this recipe to make fondant http://decoratedcupcakeideas.com/rolled-fondant-recipe-with-video-instructions/

but always crumbly....a little better if i put say 3 # of sugar, and then rolled immediatley.

so after another particularly lousy batch last night i send dh to grocery for more supplies.  I checked here and found MFF (michele fosters fondant recipe)  loved idea.   So i decided to follow directions to a 'T'  and covered and left over night--now it looked and kneaded great last night, but this morning it was terrible!!!  All crumbly-breaking into bits, finally three in microwave for a few seconds.  and it held together and rolled, but when i put it on cake, corners cracked, no drape, and quickly very stiff.

i have had great success with marshmallow fondant==but my kids have allergies, and we cannot use the marshmallows!   soooo... any help please?!

thankyou!

4 replies
meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

ASorry your having a bad day, I know how frustrating it can be. The first thing that comes to mind was that it dried out, maybe you didn't cover it well enough? And it was exposed to air which dried it out making it crumbly.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided 

ok, i am soooo frustrated....I  have spent a fortune trying to make this work  :(

i was using this recipe to make fondant http://decoratedcupcakeideas.com/rolled-fondant-recipe-with-video-instructions/

but always crumbly....a little better if i put say 3 # of sugar, and then rolled immediatley.

so after another particularly lousy batch last night i send dh to grocery for more supplies.  I checked here and found MFF (michele fosters fondant recipe)  loved idea.   So i decided to follow directions to a 'T'  and covered and left over night--now it looked and kneaded great last night, but this morning it was terrible!!!  All crumbly-breaking into bits, finally three in microwave for a few seconds.  and it held together and rolled, but when i put it on cake, corners cracked, no drape, and quickly very stiff.

You need to add MORE WATER.  While kneading, add drops at a time until it drapes properly. 

No need to ever discard dry fondant...just add water. Even 1-2 days later will work fine.

When measuring water, you need to add water to a glass cup until the BOTTOM of the water line hits the measure line.  Eyeball must be level with the marked line. This can mean the difference between the recipe and your trouble.

-Big-Red- Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Big-Red- Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 5

I think you should have added glycerine to it.

undecided Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
undecided Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 12:05am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

You need to add MORE WATER.  While kneading, add drops at a time until it drapes properly. 

No need to ever discard dry fondant...just add water. Even 1-2 days later will work fine.

When measuring water, you need to add water to a glass cup until the BOTTOM of the water line hits the measure line.  Eyeball must be level with the marked line. This can mean the difference between the recipe and your trouble.

thank you, this i have not tried.  i don't know why--guess i thought water would 'hurt' it LOL!

i  have a little of the last batch left, and i think that i will try the water.  I had added Glycerin to some, and it didn't really do it.  and tried the crisco, but it was not really helping with adhesion, it would roll out but then just fall apart, i even tried making up some more gelatin to add, that was kind of gross.  I really want to get this.  I know it can be done....

thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%