Buttercream Or Ganache Under Fondant?

Decorating By PinKC27 Updated 16 Jan 2013 , 11:10pm by PinKC27

PinKC27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinKC27 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 9

Making a cake this saturday and was originally going to do buttercream (its for 45 people) this is my 3rd experience with fondant and I see many people on here saying Ganache is easier to work with and better tasting (less sweet)..

So is ganache or buttercream under fondant better tasting?? 

My butter cream recipe is 

1lb butter

2lb powdered sugar

1 lb shortening

1 tbsp vanilla

I found a ganache recipe on here but would love if someone would post one that was easy to spread and stable... also take a vote!!! (BC or Ganache)

8 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 9

Couple things ...

In your buttercream recipe, the amount of fat seems high to me.  

Ganache vs. buttercream for taste, that's a little subjective.  Personally, I like both, sometimes even mixed together!  However, other factors should come into play.  Does your target like chocolate?  Is the ingredient cost factored in the budget?

If your cake is due that soon with that many servings, I would go with a recipe that you have used many times before.  Definitely give ganache a try, but allow yourself plenty of practice time before going into a cake with it.  Ganache can be made into different consistencies and can sometimes be a very different beast between them.

metria Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria 

In your buttercream recipe, the amount of fat seems high to me.  

Disregard this.  I don't usually use shortening in icing.  I most likely don't know what I'm talking about.

PinKC27 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 9

AIt was a recipe a friend in our local culinary program gave to me. However if you have a stable buttercream recipe id love to try it! Im trying to find more stable recipes since fondant can't be refrigerated thanks!!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 4:10am
post #5 of 9

AAll my fondant covered cakes have white chocolate as the icing. I use white chocolate because chocolate doesn't work with every flavor but white chocolate does (just like buttercream). Also, if I have to take take the fondant of the tier white chocolate doesn't discolor the fondant and I can reuse it.

metria Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 9

Fondant can be refrigerated; you just have to be careful about condensation when it comes back to room temp.

PinKC27 Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks! Would condensation only be a factor when it's hot/humid? It's winter here usually high of 35 for the next few months. or is it just the temperature difference regardless from the fridge to room temp?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 9

Unless the room where you work is the same temperature as your fridge, you'll get condensation! So it doesn't matter if it's winter or summer, or dry or humid, the temperature change is what causes it. Think of pouring cold water into a glass...eventually condensation forms on the outside. It's ok though, just don't touch the fondant until the condensation has evaporated cause you get fingerprints on it.

Me personally, I use ganache on all my cakes. I love the way the cakes look and IMO it's easier to apply the fondant perfectly and with nice sharp edges. But definitely practice first, not on this cake your doing now.

PinKC27 Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much! and one last question (this is slightly a different topic) but I'm making a ninja turtle cake and My cake is a half a sheet with a 9in round on top (already using dowel and board for support there) and a bowl cake ontop (ninja turtle head) with a lid made out of rice crispy. Should I stick another dowel straight through the bowl cake for added support? 

Just want to be extra careful! I hate to have it fall apart during transport (which is only 5 to 10 miles but is in city/suburban streets)

Thanks again to everyone for your responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%