How Many Servings Will This Camera Shaped Cake Give Me?

Decorating By kirstyamy Updated 15 Mar 2013 , 10:08pm by carla848

kirstyamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirstyamy Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 10

AI've been asked to make a camera cake to feed 30+. These are the dimensions of the planned cake...7.5 inch tall x 3.5 inch deep plus a 6 inch deep x 4.5 inch lens. How many would this feed. I worked it out as 14 serving from the main body and 8 from the lens. Is that about right? So in that case I need to make it bigger... any help would be very much appreciated :) x

9 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 10

First of all, find out if this is for a party where this is the dessert. 

In that case you would get 8 servings from the body. 2 more from the lens.To make a bigger cake, you could put your present design onto a 9 x 13 sheet cake. 

Confirm this with your customer before you even start giving a price quote or getting any further.

If the whole cake has to look like a camera, start with a 9 x 13 x 3 inch cake and add a 7"  diameter lens.  You will get your required servings out of that.  There are pictures of similar cakes in the gallery, they look just as lifelike as the "life size" version.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 10

I've made many camera cakes. This is what I start with to make one to serve 30 guests. I bake extra since there will be some waste. I have the sized  templates if you want to email me.

For 30 servings prepare 4 batches of cakes (48 servings).

Bake ONE 12x18” and a 5”, 5” and 4” round. 

Cut the 12x18” rectangle into FOUR 6”x9” rectangles 

kirstyamy Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 10

AI suggested that but yes she wants the whole cake to be a camera. When you say bake a 9x13x3 inch cake and put a lens on it, would it not need to be deeper than 3 inch to be realistic. This is where im a bit stuck as she wants it as close to the real thing as possible obviously. At the size you suggest I'm guessing it would need to be around 6 inch deep. That's giant! Haha. Oh I don't know...

kirstyamy Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 10

AOk Thankyou very much. I might message you in a bit if that's ok?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyamy 

I suggested that but yes she wants the whole cake to be a camera. When you say bake a 9x13x3 inch cake and put a lens on it, would it not need to be deeper than 3 inch to be realistic. This is where im a bit stuck as she wants it as close to the real thing as possible obviously. At the size you suggest I'm guessing it would need to be around 6 inch deep. That's giant! Haha. Oh I don't know...

Some newer cameras are very thin for their size. That amount of cake will serve the 30 people--thicker is OK.

But don't mindread this order. Go online and get a picture of the real camera that the customer wants.  Then you will know how deep to make the cakes.  You might also need to use some edible silver spray at the end...

kirstyamy Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 10

AThankyou. Yes I've got a few pics of the real thing. Just trying to find the dimensions. Thankyou for your help :)

kirstyamy Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 10

AHow many servings would you get from a 9x6x3 cake?

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 10

What type of camera does she want? I assumed you were making a DSLR. Most of those are similarly sized.  A cake to serve 30 guests will be larger than life. I go online and get the camera from all angles -- front, back, side and top. Then I blow up the photo to the size I want to make the cake. That makes it very easy to begin carving the cake. Here is a blog post I described the process. http://www.sweetgrace.net/2012/04/15/how-to-make-a-custom-camera-cake-nj/

carla848 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carla848 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 10

Could you email me your template for your camera cake? I would greatly appreciate it.

[email protected]

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%