Scroll Cake Pops Price

Baking By KimmyKatCakes Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 3:48pm by jason_kraft

KimmyKatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKatCakes Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 1:53am
post #1 of 15

I have someone who is wanted these scrolled cake pops. I quoted her $4 each. I am a registered home bakery and have an EIN # with IRS, so I do collect taxes. 

Does this seem high?

14 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 15

I don't think so.  Truthfully, if it were me, I would probably charge more just as a deterrent.  I think I would go insane dipping all of those and having to individually decorate them like that.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 15

AThose are cute and very time consuming im surprised someone would pay that price even though $4 isnt expensive just because of all the work I just think people are really cheap when it comes to cakes or cakepops

bakermamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermamacakes Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 15

I'd say charge what you think your time is worth. If they don't like the price, they'll cancel their order, and you won't be stuck spending on hours working on something for little to no pay :) 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 15

AHow long will it take you to make each one? $4 might be on the low side.

KimmyKatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKatCakes Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 3:41am
post #6 of 15

I would probably take me from rolling to dipping to finish work about 20 min each I guess. I am going to try to make one tomorrow to see what the actual time is. It is for a friend, but I am no longer offering huge discounts for friends. She is also trying to make me feel bad for not making the cake.She can't afford it she says, but yet she can set up a whole table from pinterest ideas, LOL

I agree, I tend to overprice certain orders higher, so if I do get hired for them, then I am getting paid very well to do them.icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 3:46am
post #7 of 15

A

Original message sent by KimmyKatCakes

I would probably take me from rolling to dipping to finish work about 20 min each I guess.

Given a reasonable wage of $15/hour, the labor cost alone for each one would be $5, and that's not including ingredients or markup. A price of $4 would probably be equivalent to paying yourself $7-8/hour.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 4:02am
post #8 of 15

I have made those before for Christmas, red with green scrolls.  Once you do a few practice ones, they won't take 20 minutes each.  If the customer is willing to py $4 each, then that is the right price.  It's all about what the market will bear.  Where I live, $2.00 is about the max I could charge.

SkyRyder20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkyRyder20 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 15

it takes a lot of time to do cake pops, and scroll work is even more work. i say you're pretty much on target.  BUT you will always find customers who are hoping to get something as cheap as they get, so if they're not happy, don't take it as an offense.  they need to realize that time is a lot of your cost.

MonogramE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonogramE Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 15

In my area the cost of a cake pop is about $2.00 MAX, people just won't pay for it. I charge $15 a dozen for simple, dipped and sprinkled.

annabananana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabananana Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 15

AWell if $2 is the Max people would pay then they shouldn't be getting any scroll pops like that. Those are worth at least $4. I hate reheating chocolate like that.

MonogramE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonogramE Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 15

AAgreed, like I said I simply dip and sprinkle for $2. ;)

cattx01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattx01 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 15

AThe detail of those pops deserve $4+ per pop. If she wants a duscount offer rolled and dipped pops.

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 15

i charge $25 a dozen u get em dipped sprinkes, sugar, or swirls. i dont do fancy shapes or things with fondont. if you want just plain colors no sprinkles etc its 20.00 a dozen its very labor intensive i used to charge 15 a dozen but i was not making any profits off of it. 

jason_kraft Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 15

A

Original message sent by smile22

i charge $25 a dozen u get em dipped sprinkes, sugar, or swirls. i dont do fancy shapes or things with fondont. if you want just plain colors no sprinkles etc its 20.00 a dozen its very labor intensive i used to charge 15 a dozen but i was not making any profits off of it. 

I'm curious, how long does it take you to complete an order for a dozen cake pops from start to finish (elapsed time and hands-on time)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%