Seriouscakes Buttercream: Us Vs Uk

Decorating By Raagam Updated 6 May 2013 , 11:03am by creamblooms

Raagam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raagam Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all, I had a question about SeriousCakes buttercream recipe (which I got from Arti Cakes), which is as follows:

Ingredients

22 tbs salted butter, softened (about 3 sticks)

2/3 c. shortening

5-8 tbs heavy cream

2 tsp clear vanilla

2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)

1-3 tbs corn syrup

Instructions

Cream together butter and shortening until smooth. Slowly add 2 tsp. vanilla and 5 tbs. heavy cream. Gradually add the powdered sugar and scrape down the bowl very well once it’s all added. Slowly add more cream and corn syrup a tbs at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.

Now Arti Cakes swears by this buttercream and if you've seen her flower cakes on FB, you'd understand why I want to use the same.  My question is that since this was a recipe developed in the UK, is there a difference in TBSP measurements for US measuring spoons??  I read somewhere recently that UK TBSP. 22 TBSP (UK) = 27.5 TBSP (US).  Is that true?  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks!

7 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 8

AI would assume that this recipe has already been fully converted to US measurements because butter isn't sold in 'sticks' in the UK, it comes in one solid block.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 8

That's a US recipe for sure, we don't use sticks for butter, we don't call it powdered sugar and we are metric. We don't generally use shortening or corn syrup in anything either.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 8

SeriousCakes Buttercream - not developed in UK -  a twist on Wilton’s Buttercream

http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=535

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi 

SeriousCakes Buttercream - not developed in UK -  a twist on Wilton’s Buttercream

http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=535

Yep, this was my take on it a soon as I read it because it's the general ABC recipe that I've been using for about 8 years.  Not too sweet, holds up well at room temp.

If you can get your hands on hi ratio shortening, even better.  I prefer unsalted butter and I add a bit of popcorn salt, instead.  I also use madagascar or bourbon vanilla.  If I need pure white, I add a few dots of violet food coloring to counteract the yellow tinge and it works beautifully.

Rae

Raagam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raagam Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:13am
post #6 of 8

Thanks all!  You were right, it wasn't a problem with measurements, it was a problem with my shortening!  Crisco went healthy and is trans-fat free.  Once I got my hands on hi ratio shortening, it made a world of difference!  

misschristinec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misschristinec Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:30am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes 

Yep, this was my take on it a soon as I read it because it's the general ABC recipe that I've been using for about 8 years.  Not too sweet, holds up well at room temp.

If you can get your hands on hi ratio shortening, even better.  I prefer unsalted butter and I add a bit of popcorn salt, instead.  I also use madagascar or bourbon vanilla.  If I need pure white, I add a few dots of violet food coloring to counteract the yellow tinge and it works beautifully.

Rae

Love it when I learn something new - voilet food coloring helps keep buttercream white? Amazing..

creamblooms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creamblooms Posted 6 May 2013 , 11:03am
post #8 of 8

I too use Seriouscakes buttercream, but less powdered sugar and cream.....its' really delicious and makes great flowers......i use Crisco as i can't get hi-ratio shortening in dubai...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%