Flavouring Imbc

Baking By mo63 Updated 12 Jan 2013 , 8:43am by mo63

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 8:59am
post #1 of 4

I made some IMBC for the first time the other day and I have put it in the freezer to use today.

Can anybody tell me do you have to flavour it or can it be eaten as it is? As iv never made it or eaten it before im not sure how it should taste.

Also can it be used as a crumb coat for your cake?

Thanks.

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 4

Some people like to eat it with no flavor, but to me, it definitely needs flavor.  If you don't flavor it, it will just taste like sweet butter.  I add at least three tablespoons of vanilla to mine.  You can definitely use it to crumb coat and also for your final coat.  But I just saw you are from the UK so you will probably cover it in fondant.  If you do, then make sure you refrigerate the cake to let the IMBC get rock hard.  Then cover it in fondant.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Some people like to eat it with no flavor, but to me, it definitely needs flavor.  If you don't flavor it, it will just taste like sweet butter.  I add at least three tablespoons of vanilla to mine.  You can definitely use it to crumb coat and also for your final coat.  But I just saw you are from the UK so you will probably cover it in fondant.  If you do, then make sure you refrigerate the cake to let the IMBC get rock hard.  Then cover it in fondant.

I agree!  IMBC takes flavor so well.  I add 2 tbsp good vanilla to each 4 cups of BC.  I am also a big fan of adding liqueur.  It does not taste like alcohol, but tastes so good!  Godiva has chocolate, white chocolate and caramel liqueur.  For mint I use 1/2 tsp peppermint oil and 1 TBSP Peppermint schnapps for each 4 cups of frosting.  Add gradually and taste.  For extracts I usually use 1 tsp plus 1 Tbsp of the appropriate liqueur.  (Amoretto, Grand Marnier, Chambord, limoncello).  IMBC also mixes well with concentrated fruit purees and curds.  People will LOVE your frosting!

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 8:43am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

I agree!  IMBC takes flavor so well.  I add 2 tbsp good vanilla to each 4 cups of BC.  I am also a big fan of adding liqueur.  It does not taste like alcohol, but tastes so good!  Godiva has chocolate, white chocolate and caramel liqueur.  For mint I use 1/2 tsp peppermint oil and 1 TBSP Peppermint schnapps for each 4 cups of frosting.  Add gradually and taste.  For extracts I usually use 1 tsp plus 1 Tbsp of the appropriate liqueur.  (Amoretto, Grand Marnier, Chambord, limoncello).  IMBC also mixes well with concentrated fruit purees and curds.  People will LOVE your frosting                                                                                                                                                  

Thank you both for your replies. I have some good vanilla so I will use that. Can't wait for people to try it so I can and get there opinion. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%