Wedding Cake Price

Business By ShelbySmith Updated 11 Jan 2013 , 1:11am by Apti

ShelbySmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbySmith Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 12:07am
post #1 of 4

I have a cake due in August. It is a wedding cake! My very first icon_lol.gif

I wanted to see what you all would charge for what I will be doing.

The cake will feed 232 people.

The top layer is a 6" cake that will be taken with the bride and groom (of course).

The middle layer is two 3" high 10" cakes that will feed 76 people.

The bottom layer is two 3" high 14" cakes that will feed 156 people.

I have to deliver it as well. I live about 10 minutes away from the reception.

Any tips along with the price that you would charge would be fantastic!

Keep in mind that I am not currently paying for employees, electricity, etc; so my price will probably less than a business owner. I am just 18 years old and just curious!

I am charging $420.

$1.80 a slice.

Thanks,

Shelby Smith

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 12:19am
post #2 of 4

i charge for all the servings in all the tiers no matter what they do with them

i think that cake serves 244 at $1.80 per that's about $440

people start about $4 per for buttercream give or take so more than double your price

and just gently here--you want to consider that as a rule you don't want to underprice people who do have the big overhead

know what I mean?

love to see a picture of your work!!!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 12:33am
post #3 of 4

Unless you are putting a board in between each 3" tier with dowels and everything (and each tier has filling and such) your servings are going to be off.  Even though you have two 3" layers in your tiers for a very tall cake, the venue will still cut it like a normal 10" cake, which would feed 35-ish.  The really tall tiers also don't fit on a standard dessert plate which can cause issue. 

Are you doing two double barrel tiers, which is really four separate cakes?  Or are you doing two 6" tall tiers?

You need to think too, that you are looking at about $.70 - $1.20 or more per serving YOUR cost by the time you are done with everything from ingredients to bake, internal supports and cake boards, fondant if you are using it, and the base board.  You will be making next to nothing on this cake. 

Also, I would find out if the venue will accept a cake from a non licenced facility.  If this is for a friend and a backyard wedding you don't have to worry as much, but some venues will turn away a cake that isn't from a licensed facility like a licensed home kitchen or a commercial bakery.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:11am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbySmith 
The cake will feed 232 people.

The top layer is a 6" cake that will be taken with the bride and groom (of course).

The middle layer is two 3" high 10" cakes that will feed 76 people.

The bottom layer is two 3" high 14" cakes that will feed 156 people.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on doing your first wedding cake.  It is very difficult for anyone here on the forum to answer a pricing question because we don't know your skill level, the ingredients/supplies used, and the geographic area where the cake will be sold.

Here is an excellent article by a software company:

How Much Should I Charge for my Cakes?

http://www.cakeboss.com/PricingGuideline.aspx

Will you be cutting the cake at the wedding venue?  Although I am a hobby baker, my understanding is that most venues use the Wilton Serving Guide.   As mentioned by Lilmissbakesalot above, if someone else is cutting the cake, they will probably end up with less servings.  The Wilton Serving guide:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

indicates that a 10" round x 6" high cake will serve 38 wedding servings

and a 14" round x 6" high cake will serve 78 wedding servings for a total of 116 servings.

If you are in the UK or Europe, you may be referring to a "finger sized" portion which we do not typically serve in the USA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%