Post A Craigslist Ad For A Assistant?! Advice Please.

Business By LovelyCakes4Us Updated 12 Jan 2013 , 1:31pm by CindiM

LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 14

AHowdy, Is it smart to look for a assistant through craigslist? Also how would i put in the ad that pay right now will not be so great, but if you venture with me pay will not be a issue as I'm just starting out my business.. I have nooo idea how to word that maybe a little help? Yep before you ask I am starting safeserve, business license, commercial kitchen ect ect i just need some help with all the business mumbo jumbo!

13 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 14

You don't have to put anything at all into the ad about pay.

You MUST pay at least minimum wage plus employers contributions for unemployment insurance and govt pension according to your country and state. Do your math before you post any help wanted ad.  You MUST make your payments on time according to your tax laws--usually monthly.

But you are gonna get a real bunch of hacks on Craigslist...better save your time for a legitimate small ad in your local/regional  weekly paper.  Your business pays for it, you know.

When you interview, you may say that pay will be determined by experience.  And that you have a probationary period.  You MUST put all such details in writing BEFORE you hire.  You MUST have an objective way to evaluate skills BEFORE you hire.

And if you are asking "venture with me and the pay will go up" then that is NOT an employee--that is a business partner. 

And may I ask why you would be hiring somebody when you don't know the "business mumbo jumbo"--don't you understand that employers have a lot of legal obligations? Such as how to communicate the state labour and safety regs to employees and to enforce them?  And how exactly to hire and fire? 

You CANNOT be running to Cake Central every time you need to fulfill your legal obligations to communicate issues with an employee.  You fire somebody the wrong way (including by venting about their work in a public forum), you could lose your business in a lawsuit.  And that alone should be a good enough reason for you to learn how to fulfill your legal obligations as an employer BEFORE you post an ad.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 14

AIf there is a culinary school in your area you may be able to get pastry students who can work with you as an unpaid intern in exchange for credit. Note that even an unpaid intern needs to be covered with worker's comp insurance in most areas.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 14

This is area dependent.  In San Francisco if you want to get a job, find an apartment, sell a car, have a garage sale, or find a date, you post on CL. The SF Chronacle and SF Examiner have been almost completely put out of business loosing classified dollars to CL.  So my point is - if your area is a big CL user, then it's worth it to post in CL.

Since you now have to pay to advertise a job, all the caterers I know (including me) post in Gigs for externs/independent contractors because it's still free.  If someone is looking for a job they generally do a keyword search - and gigs pop up right along with regular jobs.

BakingIrene Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 14

This OP was asking for a commercial kitchen in MN. 

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 14

A

celluliteme="BakingIrene" url="/t/752737/post-a-craigslist-ad-for-a-assistant-advice-please#post_7347546"]This OP was asking for a commercial kitchen in MN.  [/quote]

I work in a commercial kitchen I can't recall asking for one. :)

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 14

A[quote name="FromScratchSF" url="/t/752737/post-a-craigslist-ad-for-a-assistant-advice-please#post_7347542"]This is area dependent.  In San Francisco if you want to get a job, find an apartment, sell a car, have a garage sale, or find a date, you post on CL. The SF Chronacle and SF Examiner have been almost completely put out of business loosing classified dollars to CL.  So my point is - if your area is a big CL user, then it's worth it to post in CL.

Yes, MN is all about Craigslist.

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 14

A

Original message sent by BakingIrene

You don't have to put anything at all into the ad about pay.

You MUST pay at least minimum wage plus employers contributions for unemployment insurance and govt pension according to your country and state. Do your math before you post any help wanted ad.  You MUST make your payments on time according to your tax laws--usually monthly.

But you are gonna get a real bunch of hacks on Craigslist...better save your time for a legitimate small ad in your local/regional  weekly paper.  Your business pays for it, you know.

When you interview, you may say that pay will be determined by experience.  And that you have a probationary period.  You MUST put all such details in writing BEFORE you hire.  You MUST have an objective way to evaluate skills BEFORE you hire.

And if you are asking "venture with me and the pay will go up" then that is NOT an employee--that is a business partner. 

And may I ask why you would be hiring somebody when you don't know the "business mumbo jumbo"--don't you understand that employers have a lot of legal obligations? Such as how to communicate the state labour and safety regs to employees and to enforce them?  And how exactly to hire and fire? 

You CANNOT be running to Cake Central every time you need to fulfill your legal obligations to communicate issues with an employee.  You fire somebody the wrong way (including by venting about their work in a public forum), you could lose your business in a lawsuit.  And that alone should be a good enough reason for you to learn how to fulfill your legal obligations as an employer BEFORE you post an ad.

I don't plan on running to CC when I have issues or talking crap about a employee on here idk what makes you think that? Lol... Yeah I went over this last night, i meant partner not assistant.. I know big difference!

BakingIrene Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyCakes4Us 

I don't plan on running to CC when I have issues or talking crap about a employee on here idk what makes you think that? Lol... Yeah I went over this last night, i meant partner not assistant.. I know big difference!

Well actually there IS a HUGE difference.

You deleted your January 10 post about  MN where the only response was to contact the local ICES group. 

But I guess I'm going to stick to MY cardinal rule: if somebody can't spell then there is no way they can successfully operate a business. 

I will from now on send responses to requests for business advice privately, to people who already know what being an employer means. 

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 14

A

Original message sent by BakingIrene

Well actually there IS a HUGE difference.

You deleted your January 10 post about  MN where the only response was to contact the local ICES group. 

But I guess I'm going to stick to MY cardinal rule: if somebody can't spell then there is no way they can successfully operate a business. 

I will from now on send responses to requests for business advice privately, to people who already know what being an employer means. 

I don't recall deleting anything to be quite frank.. First of all I know the difference between the two thank you very much, second who are you to judge someones spelling lol goodness you honestly don't have to be so rude.. Take a chill pill and woooosaww... Also who are you to say who can or can't run a business.. So are you saying my aunt with ADD can't successfully run a business? I'm pretty sure she has a amazing clothing line and her business is BOOMING. Please do not judge others, you have nooo idea what's going on in there personal life thank you :).

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 14

Responses in this thread (as well as the responses to those responses) have been deleted for being inflammatory, rude, judgmental and off topic.

This is valid question and is worthy of meaningful discussion.

BakingIrene Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 14

Well I'm going to post one link as a positive example of how a good bakery finds exceptional people.

It is also an example of what people interested in bakery internships should be looking for

http://www.jacquespastries.com/employment/index.html

PinkCakeBox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkCakeBox Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 14

We actually have a post up right now for a sales assistant on Craiglist.  The challenge we have with craiglist, at least in our area, is the volume of candidates it generates.  You have to be ready to spend the time to read through several resumes and weed out those that do not qualify.   To BakingIrene's point, be prepared to also have to deal with several candidates that are not qualified, or are simply mass emailing their resume with not much regard to the position.

Good luck!

Anne

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 14

I have found some awesome people on Craigs List.  My last assistant had 15 years bakery manager experience.  She was with me for 3 years and moved out of state.  She was a amazing. 

My new assistant (also from Craigs list) starts Tuesday, and she has 8 years as a bakery manager.  I found in my business, I have to have lots of experience.  

I just wanted to say Craigs list has worked for me.  And everyone is correct in doing all of your research on what it takes to have employees, wages, taxes, insurance, etc.  My husband handles my payroll for my store.  There is a lot more involved in hiring people, than most people think.    

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%