Anyone Else Dislike Italian Meringue Buttercream?

Decorating By bittersweety Updated 12 Apr 2016 , 3:52pm by julia1812

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 25

so im a professional baker as many of you are...but i just can't seem to grow a fondness for imbc! i make a delicious imbc (as reported by others) but i just feel like they all have a bit of a "slick" mouthfeel and it just doesn;t sit well with me... i feel like i should love all frostings, but alas... i guess i'm just a classic whipped american buttercream fan.. anyone else dislike the feel of imbc? or am i alone....

24 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 25

It's extremely rich, to me.  What nauseates me is seeing cupcakes with towers of IMBC.  A cupcake is basically the same height as a regular slice of cake, yet people put enough icing on there to double the height.  They end up being very top-heavy that way.

Meringue buttercreams need a lot of flavoring.  I use at least three tablespoons of vanilla when I make it.  My family is not a fan of IMBC.  I like it, but only in small amounts.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 25

::raises hand::

doesn't like IMBC or SMBC

Yes, I can make it properly.

Yes, I can put a lot of flavoring in it.

Still don't like it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 25

I use SMBC exclusively, and love it. That said, I've had some other people's meringue buttercreams and did not like them at all. Wayyyyy too buttery, and I can see how people could be put off by it. (I know IMBC is being discussed here, but same thing basically) 

This is the recipe I started out with, and now use a tweaked version of it. Honestly, my favorite way to eat it is with NO flavorings. It's just nice and sweet and barely buttery. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but American style bc's definitely aren't mine.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 25

I offer both because there are people who like one or the other, or some who like both.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 25

i really like it for the opposite. LOL I find that ABC puts a film on the roof of my mouth that I really dislike

AZCouture Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

i really like it for the opposite. LOL I find that ABC puts a film on the roof of my mouth that I really dislike

Oh me too. And it makes my teeth hurt.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 1:04am
post #8 of 25

Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of ABC either, but everyone here freaks out about how good it is so that is my standard, unfortunately.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 1:54am
post #9 of 25

I LOVE IMBC and SMBC both, and so do my customers.  One of my friends told me once that for his birthday gift I could give him a bowl of my IMBC and a spoon and he would be happy.  LOL!   Gotta agree with that - whether it's flavored with Godiva Chocolate liquer,  white chocolate, or plain old vanilla, it's my favorite.

StaceFaceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceFaceCakes Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:17am
post #10 of 25

Way too buttery for me! I feel like I should like it, but I just don't. Maybe it's like wine? You start off with the sweeter, White Zin and Mocasto and eventually your palette adjusts to more sophiticated blends??? Maybe!? But I just don't know. Like straight butter to me, even with tons of flavoring.

GBYH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GBYH Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 7:48am
post #11 of 25

ANever tried IMBC but ever since I started using SMBC, I never went back to AMBC. I have been using the 1:2:2 ratio of eggwhite:sugar:butter as compared to others which is 1:2:3. Some say IMBC and SMBC are similar so maybe you can try reducing the amount of butter too?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 8:00am
post #12 of 25

I love IMBC (and SMBC too), I do add just a tad less butter though. Also, I think the quality of the butter you're using is extremely important!! 

Now, any buttercream made with shortening..I won't touch that stuff and would never use it either. It's just too fake tasting to me and just the idea of it makes me queasy. Everyone has different tastes.

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 25

oh i agree some ABC's can leave a film..i think that those that do either have too much butter and not enough sugar and aren't whipped long enough, or are often made with shortening instead of butter which is why i never make buttercream with shortening. absolutely no offense to those who do, but i just feel like you can't call it a buttercream otherwise :(  but maybe i'll try a less butter version of IMBC sometime. i was always under the impression that you HAD to add quite a bit of butter otherwise it wouldn'tcome out of that curdly stage..  can someone post me a quick recipe for an IMBC that has less butter and therefore keeps more of a meringue texture instead of slick texture?  i love the meringue stage before the butter gets added :) yummm

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I use SMBC exclusively, and love it. That said, I've had some other people's meringue buttercreams and did not like them at all. Wayyyyy too buttery, and I can see how people could be put off by it. (I know IMBC is being discussed here, but same thing basically) 

This is the recipe I started out with, and now use a tweaked version of it. Honestly, my favorite way to eat it is with NO flavorings. It's just nice and sweet and barely buttery. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but American style bc's definitely aren't mine.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

This ^^. I was at a wedding show this past weekend and could not for the life of me figure out how that caker came up with the weirdness that the IMBC on the cake was. Ever since I switched to SMBC exclusively, I can't go back. The ONLY American BC I like and would eat is that of Crave Cupcakes.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 25

I have a friend who just loves AMBC and doesn't find my IMBC to be sweet enough. Recently, I made some sandwich cookies and filled them with straight-up shortening/powdered sugar/vanilla, and she STILL didn't find them sweet. I have been killing myself to please her, for some odd reason, and now i realize she's just insane...icon_lol.gif

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 12:29am
post #16 of 25

AI make both IMBC and ABC and mix them about 50/50. I think it's much better than either one alone.

costumeczar Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:55am
post #17 of 25

Some people like the sweeter icing. If they fight the other party guests to eat the icing roses off of the corners of the supermarket birthday cake, they're not going to be big fans of the meringue buttercreams.

AZCouture Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:02am
post #18 of 25

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Some people like the sweeter icing. If they fight the other party guests to eat the icing roses off of the corners of the supermarket birthday cake, they're not going to be big fans of the meringue buttercreams.

Good observation!

costumeczar Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 25

AThere's a seat for every butt, and an icing for every palate, from refined to cement. What gets me is the people who call and tell me that their favorite is the icing from a certain supermarket around here. I know for a fact it's just crisco and confectioner's sugar. Naaaaaasty!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady 

I make both IMBC and ABC and mix them about 50/50. I think it's much better than either one alone.

this is a worthy thought--stroke of brilliance

i'm gonna try that--be really nice for cupcakes i bet--fluffier but still packs a punch

i did not prefer the imbc that i whipped up eons ago

i used a tweaked wilton's french buttercream for years until i switched to smbc

Cakes_and_Faith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_and_Faith Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 1:09am
post #21 of 25

I made IMBC for the first time. To me, it tastes like a really good whipped cream. Is this the right taste or did I do something wrong?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 7:02pm
post #22 of 25

It's just OK...I can take or leave it.  Taste is a very regional thing....what works in some places doesn't work so well in other.  I like an American buttercream, heavy on the butter and vanilla, but light on the shortening.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:35pm
post #23 of 25

Personally, I can't stand SMBC...i actually spat it out.  I've tried a few recipes and all taste just as chemical and gross to me.  Give me real butter, icing sugar and a bit of flavouring whisked to within an inch of it's life to me any day and I'm happy.  Although I am a Brit as well and my first encounter with SMBC was about a year ago.  I think regionality is a big thing...it's not what mum used to make!  xx

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 10:51pm
post #24 of 25

Interesting debate.  I have a few clients who LOVE SMBC but most prefer ABC.  I LOVE SMBC but I find most people don't.  I never use it it fill cakes, just to dam and exterior frost because nothing else is as good.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 3:52pm
post #25 of 25

Well, guess just because you're a professional baker doesn't mean you have to like everything you make.

I hate hate hate american buttercream. It actually makes me wanna throw up. But hey...I still offer it. 

There is so much out there to please the customer - ABC - mbc - ganache - cooked flour buttercream - etc...The only problem is YOU as the baker have to taste it LOL. EVERY SINGLE TIME (well. ..at least when you add certain flavors).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%