Deposits??? Yes Or No??

Decorating By CozyCowCupcakes Updated 9 Jan 2013 , 3:39am by SugarMillCakes

CozyCowCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CozyCowCupcakes Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 12:22am
post #1 of 3

I am a new small unlicensed business. I am trying to mostly handle cupcakes, but am willing and enjoy cakes as well. I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but is it pretty normal to require some type of deposit on cake orders? If so at what point do you start asking for a deposit, and how much of a deposit do you ask for. I ask this because I just had a customer cancel. And of course I did have someone else contact me today about a couple cakes for this weekend, which I told her I wouldnt be able to do because I already had two cakes booked. I am now trying to get a hold of her to see if she is still interested. Any input would be awesome. Thanks!

2 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 12:29am
post #2 of 3

Yes.  Always get a deopsit, and make sure that you state that it is non-refundable.  I do mainly wedding cakes so my price point and average order are probably more than what you deal with, but I require all orders under $300 to be paid in full to book and orders over $300 required a $200 deposit and the balance to be paid 4 weeks before the event.  Any orders made with less than 4 weeks notice are paid in full to order.  On average cake orders are $600 and up so that works for me.  Many people require a 50% deposit (again non-refundable) and the balance due anywhere from 1 - 4 weeks before the event.  It all depends on what you are comfortable with. 

Take in consideration your average order amount and calculate something from there.

SugarMillCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMillCakes Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 3:39am
post #3 of 3

ALWAYS either get a deposit or payment in full when confirming an order.  I don't consider a job booked until I get payment of some sort.  I find that if I don't get a deposit, there are some people out there who may cancel at the last moment - then all of that time you spent (not to mention product) has been wasted.  For wedding cakes or more expensive custom cakes booked far in advance, I require a 50% deposit with the balance due 30 days before the event.  If I get a birthday cake order within a few weeks of the event, I get payment in full.  

When I first started out, I didn't take credit cards.  The deposit/immediate payment thing got a bit tricky, especially if someone only ordered something a few days in advance.  Now I use a Square card reader which I plug into my phone or iPad.  I can immediately run my customer's credit cards and know that the payment is accepted (while they're still on the phone).  There is a charge - I believe it's around 3%, but the peace of mind is totally worth it.

In time you'll start to be able to weed out the ones who are truly interested in purchasing a cake and those who aren't.  Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%