Butter Vs. Oil Doctored Mixes! Which Taste Better? Moistness?

Baking By LovelyCakes4Us Updated 9 Jan 2013 , 1:52pm by pamelawoo

LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 7

AQuestion.. What is you're choice in doctored mixes?

Butter? Oil? Which taste better, does butter still leave the cake moist like oil? I was thinking about doing a combination of both butter and oil for cupcakes.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 7

in my tests--butter did not perform as well as oil

i chill all my cakes

the butter cakes in my tests did not come back to room temp as well as oil based doctored mix cake or recipe (scratch) cake

the butter cakes in my tests--still stayed firm in the mouthfeel and when it was swallowed had that 'dry' full feeling down the throat--scraped a little going down

if that same butter cake was microwaved very briefly--it was perfect as any other cake--so it was not dry at all

but the butter held up too well --did not loosen up like oil does--when coming back to room temp and created a problem in my test cakes that i can easily avoid by simply using oil--most of my fillings need chilling so that was that

so i used oil based for all but family cakes

those are my observations

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 7

A

[quote name="-K8memphis" url="/t/752641/butter-vs-oil-doctored-mixes-which-taste-better-moistness#post_7346867"] in my tests--butter did not perform as well as oil

i chill all my cakes

the butter cakes in my tests did not come back to room temp as well as oil based doctored mix cake or recipe (scratch) cake

the butter cakes in my tests--still stayed firm in the mouthfeel and when it was swallowed had that 'dry' full feeling down the throat--scraped a little going down

if that same butter cake was microwaved very briefly--it was perfect as any other cake--so it was not dry at all

but the butter held up too well --did not loosen up like oil does--when coming back to room temp and created a problem in my test cakes that i can easily avoid by simply using oil--most of my fillings need chilling so that was that

so i used oil based for all but family cakes

those are my observations [/quote

Thanks, I have a delicious cupcake recipe but I want that buttery delicious flavor that all bakery's have.. I wonder if using butter milk is key?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 5:05am
post #4 of 7

i don't know that there's just one key thing to it 

but buttermilk is a very important ingredient for added goodness, can easily be subbed for other liquids.

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 7

AButter definitely wins the taste test to me...and it stays moist longer. For even better results, I melt the butter. Also I've had fantastic results with using half oil and half melted butter in the doctored mixes.

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 7

A

Original message sent by HotPink_LipGloss

and it stays moist longer. For even better results, I melt the butter. Also I've had fantastic results with using half oil and half melted butter in the doctored mixes.

I'm going to give half unsalted butter half oil a try sounds delicious! Thanks!

pamelawoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamelawoo Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 7

My doctored cake mix calls for oil and buttermilk and they are moist all of the time.  I would use the oil over the butter. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%