Sizes Of These Tiers?

Decorating By kianson Updated 10 Jan 2013 , 11:43pm by kianson

kianson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kianson Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 8

AHi all. I have a lady after this cake. Just trying to guess the sizes of the tiers. To me it looks like a 4", 6" and 8". But the height is what I'm questioning.....does the bottom look like a double 8"?? (20cm high?) Or do they all look the same? Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2889797/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

7 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 8

Photo looks almost like it was done with a fisheye lens, distorting the image. The bottom tier is probably at least 5" inches tall, but the differences between sizes looks to be at least 3 inches. I want to say a 4-7-10, but that just doesn't look like a 10" bottom tier. It could be a 4-6-8, and the decorations on the edges push that ledge out  making it look like there's a great difference than 2". Cool cake.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 8

I vote for the 8 - 6 - 4, based on the cake stand it's on.  Looks like a 12" stand.  The base cake is definitely a 5 or 6" (I think a 6") because there's quite a difference between the base cake height and the others.  Either that or the base cake is a 5 with the other two being  3" each.

kianson Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 1:32am
post #4 of 8

AThanks guys. Think I'll go a 4, 6 and 8, making the base 6" high and the others 4" Follow on q though? Do I need to a support board / dowels in the bottom tier ? I've always put supports in between a dbl height(8") tier. And if so, would I support half way through, meaning the slice would be 3" tall when cut?? Thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 8

you are right on the brink

you probably don't need to use a board but make sure construction is extra careful extra exact

an idea would be to use an 8" dummy  1 or 2 inches tall under the very bottom and ice it all as if it were the 8"--then you for sure are good

if you do use a board for the 6 inch tall 8" cake--then you've doubled your servings for that tier--i'd place the board halfway up

AZCouture Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

I don't bother for 6", but if you're unsure, I guess it wouldn't hurt.

AZCouture Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 8

If I was making this, I'd do 6" on bottom and 5" for the rest. :)

kianson Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 8

AThank you all!! I love the advice and help you get on this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%