Change My Recipe??

Baking By ANDaniels Updated 9 Jan 2013 , 4:32am by Elcee

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 9

ACan anyone help me? I want to change my vanilla recipe to a caramel cake. Can I add caramel in and just reduce the sugar? Do I need to take out some of the milk of I do this?

Here is my vanilla recipe.

Ingredients 1½ Cups Unsalted Butter, softened 2 Cups Sugar 5 Eggs 1 Tsp. Salt 2¾ Cups All-Purpose Flour 1 Tsp. Baking Soda 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder 1 Tbsp. Vanilla, Butter Nut Extract 1¼ Cups Whole Milk Instructions Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 2- 8 or 9 cake pans with wax paper sprayed with baking spray. In a stand mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 10 min. In the meantime in a small bowl sift together all dry ingredients. Add in extract and eggs, 1 at a time and beat after each egg. Beat until fluffy about 8 min. Now alternately add flour and milk to butter mixture. Once it is all incorporated beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Remove from mixer and do a quick stir with a spoon. Evenly divide batter between to 2 pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a couple crumbs

8 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 9

Yeah.  I would reduce the sugar and leave out a little milk.  I know I have seen a recipe for caramel cake that had you add some cooled, homemade caramel syrup to the batter.  I would drizzle some thinned caramel syrup over the layers too so it was really prevalent. 

I would take out 1/2 c of sugar and 1/4 - 1/2 c of the liquid and add 1/2 a cup of caramel syrup mixed with the rest of the milk.  If that's not enough caramel flavor then drizzle the layers.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 9

Martha Stewart has a recipe available online for caramel cake.  I haven't tried it, but it looks like a basic yellow cake with caramel syrup added.  Here are her amounts

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup Caramel Syrup, plus more for serving
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 9

Yes!  That was the one I saw too.  Couldn't remember where though. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 9

in my mother's tattered first edition betty crocker picture book cookbook--over 60 years old--

with the classic red & white scrolly cover

there's a "burnt sugar cake" and a "new caramel cake"

if you would like either i'd be glad to paraphrase the directions and write out one or the other recipe

burnt sugar has 3 eggs, new caramel has 2 eggs--that's the basic difference--same yield

cool old recipe with scratch icing too

but if your newly tweaked recipe is working for you--no worries

pg 130 &131 if you already have a copy

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 9

AThanks guys I will try the tweaked recipe tonight. I like the texture of my recipe and I'm comfortable with it So I would prefer to be able to just change it a little to suit my needs rather than having multitudes of different recipes. Make sense?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDaniels 

Thanks guys I will try the tweaked recipe tonight. I like the texture of my recipe and I'm comfortable with it So I would prefer to be able to just change it a little to suit my needs rather than having multitudes of different recipes. Make sense?

that's what i thought

why i didn't start typing it out

hope all goes well!

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 9

AHow about using brown sugar instead of white sugar in your recipe, that may help to give it a more caramel flavor.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 4:32am
post #9 of 9

Looks like I may be late to the party on this one but I make my White Caramel Cake by starting with my White Cake recipe and replacing half the sugar with brown sugar, and 1/2 the liquid with caramel sauce.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%