Am I Charging Too Much Or Too Little?

Business By Lilly200 Updated 10 Jan 2013 , 2:17pm by Lilly200

Lilly200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilly200 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 13

I charge £65 for this cake it is an 8" vanilla sponge (madeira) with rasberry preserve and vanilla buttercream. Everything is handmade by me and edible (apart from the needles which were bought) Is this too much or too little?

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 13

i don't know

why not learn about your local bakery pricing for cakes like that

next time you are in there take the picture for quick quote  -

just say "if i ordered this from you how much would it be?" short sweet done

you don't want to make a habit out of this at all but i daresay everyone has done it at least once

maybe drop them an email

it seems pretty low to me if i did the conversion correctly but to get a good heads up

price it with the best local cake place --i think home cakers should be priced at least just above local retail places

but be sensitive to not taking too much of their time and not leading them on either

just a pricing thought

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 13

I think it might be on the little on the cheap sise, I would have charged more but it depends on your costs, how long it takes and how much your rate is per hours. Why don't you take a look on facebook at other locals work, because location is also very important.

Lilly200 Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you for your replies. I have tried to look on facebook but most people don't have their prices listed and I feel cheeky sending a message saying how much do you charge for that cake! Maybe I should just post the  picture and ask people How much would you pay for this cake? Just a thought

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 13

i'd say that you are the one who needs to value your work

it won't exactly work to ask someone what they will pay for it

i'd do that cake for about $250

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 13

no but i understand the need to know

i remember the first time i made a cake that looked exactly like the picture i was provided

i'm still shocked and it was just a drawing

so sure you wanna find out what you can generate

your cake is brilliant, clean no booboo's, great color, nice art work, extra doodads--very well done

and it's worth top dollar, pound whatever the swirlie little L's are

and it's not important for me to believe that you have to believe it

future cakes will be as good or better even

some you will hope to god will be eaten as soon as possible  icon_biggrin.gif

SavvySavingWithStephanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavvySavingWithStephanie Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 3:12am
post #7 of 13

I am very reasonable of what I charge for Cakes and I think that is way to cheap. It looks like it is a long time consuming job. I would figure the price as Supplies + $10- $12 and hour not including baking time. I wouldn't charge for baking time. But I would for making frosting and anything else. 

ultraviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ultraviolet Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 3:46am
post #8 of 13

AI'd say about $250-300! Nice work more on the $300 side personally

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 5:22am
post #9 of 13

ANice cake and way on the cheap side. I dont think anyone would pay $250 for it not that its not worth it, its just that people are cheap and they would never expect to pay that much for a cake....maybe somewhere in the $150 to $175 range just my feelings. Looking at your cake it is perfect and I think any customer would love getting it.I do agree that you have to charge an hourly rate, again beauiful cake.

kazita Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 5:28am
post #10 of 13

AI just looked at your cake again and bought it up closer , I didnt see the basket and all the detail in that and the whole cake so now im with everyone else at least $250

kazita Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 9:08am
post #11 of 13

ANice cake and way on the cheap side. I dont think anyone would pay $250 for it not that its not worth it, its just that people are cheap and they would never expect to pay that much for a cake....maybe somewhere in the $150 to $175 range just my feelings. Looking at your cake it is perfect and I think any customer would love getting it.I do agree that you have to charge an hourly rate, again beauiful cake.

kazita Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 9:15am
post #12 of 13

AJust wondering whats inside of the yarn balls? Cake?

Lilly200 Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 13

AThank you so much for all your lovely comments, I will certainly be upping my prices. Inside the yarn balls is cake mixed with vanilla buttercream and formed into balls, left to set then covered with fondant and then the fondant strings, they can be eaten too. Makes them quite heavy though, would maybe be better making them from RKT : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%