Calling All Brides :)

Decorating By jennilynn03 Updated 7 Jan 2013 , 9:15pm by AnnieCahill

jennilynn03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennilynn03 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 11

I am getting married this July.  I want to make my own cake :)  I was going to do a small round to cut and then about 150 cupcakes.  Everyone is telling me not to do it.  I love to bake, and have wanted to do this for a while.  Am I getting in over my head doing this myself?  Love to hear your opinions.  Thanks!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 11

as one who understands the passion/drive involved i'd say that yes while you would be in over your head that fueling passion would enable you to pull it off

i mean it's an ocassion of a lifetime why let it go by--no regrets here!!!!

then again as mob and mog and aunt-of-bride i can attest to the fact you def miss out on last minute events so as the bride herself you gotta work around that

if you delegate and train now while it's calm and be sure your delegates have back up delegates you should be fine

bake decorate, freeze a week in advance, package carefully

remove to frige to thaw

get the posse to deliver and assemble day of

do a dry run not just a talk through--so they understand how to handle--things must be level in transport & all that good stuff

i say do it

you have proposed an easy method

if you were doing blown sugar sculptures resting on spun sugar clouds held on strings by carved chocolate cherubs hovering above a lambeth cake--yeah maybe not but a cutting cake and 150 cuppies --well planned out in advance with others trained to deliver & set up -- i say go for it!!!

i did my cake 34 years ago

<high five>

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 11

I would agree with your friends.  The last thing you want to do is be up all night the night before your wedding decorating anything.  Cupcakes would be easier to manage than a cake if you are new to it all, but still... you want to be able to go out and celebrate and not be tied to the kitchen. 

It is possible... and if you are determined you will get through it... but as someone who does this for a living and has been married you couldn't have paid me enough to make my own cake.  I wanted to be able to relax and enjoy my friends and family.  You also have to check with your venue as many require that your cake comes from a licensed facility and don't allow cakes made in the home environment for insurance reasons. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 11

i started panicking a little & i though omg i hope she's already done cakes

i went to your blog and now i'm all misty--it's so-o sweet

i love the whole ring story sniff sniff sniff

very way too sweet adorable

sniff

i wish you both a continued lovely life and beautiful wedding day

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 11

Chile pleaze!  That would be a breeze to do, even for someone who isn't experienced with baking.  I baked and decorated my own wedding cake and it was huge.  Before Christmas, a friend and I made 500 cupcakes in four hours, then the next day they were all decorated in the same amount of time.  There were only two of us but we had several pans and three stand mixers going.  You don't have to do them all at once.  You can bake them a couple of weekends before and then freeze.  The buttercream you can make ahead and freeze as well.  The key to making sure they don't look ghetto is to a) use a good recipe and b) make sure you get a scoop so they are all the same size.  Get some large cupcake tips and practice making your swirls.  Get your girlfriends to practice too so they can decorate them with you.  Do it the day before and keep them in airtight boxes so they don't dry out.  For your little round cake, just do a homestyle swirly pattern around the sides.  That is trendy right now.  Any fondant decorations can also be made way in advance.  Then you can have your crew just put them on the cupcakes before the wedding.  Easy.

jennilynn03 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all so very much for your input!  I was told if I do this, I am not allowed to set it up day of.  I think I am going to do it!  I will make my fondant flowers beforehand.  I also have a girlfriend who can help bake/decorate if it gets too much.  I appreciate all the feedback!  You have given me my confidence icon_biggrin.gif

k8memphis, you are too sweet!

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 11

Well that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  I don't know any vendor who doesn't set up the day of the wedding.  Just get some airtight containers to keep your cupcakes in after they have been iced.  It should take 15-20 minutes max to get them out on the table if you have some help.

I checked out your blog too.  You and your baked goods are adorable.  Best wishes to you both.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 11

I think she was meaning more that her friends said she wouldn't be allowed to so she didn't have to worry about it on the day of.  :D

jennilynn03 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry, let me clarify:  My fiance won't let me set it up on the day off.  He doesn't want me to have to worry about it :)  Thanks!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 11

See if you can find a reliable friend to help you set it up on the day of the wedding.

Doing it yourself would be OK if you are having the wedding and reception in the same hall...then you can be sure they will wait for you.

But go ahead and make your own wedding cake if you want.  I made mine in 3 pillared tiers.  The only trouble was that I delivered it the day before, and the venue then moved it as a unit and broke the plate it was on.

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 11

Oh haha!  Sorry!  I misunderstood.  I didn't get much sleep over the weekend so my brain gears are a little rusty.

Yeah, I had my bridesmaids set mine up for me the morning of the wedding.  Mine were floating/separated tiers so no one had to worry about stacking them.  You can definitely ice them the day before and keep them in an airtight container and they won't dry out.  Then it's just as easy as getting an extra set of hands or two to put them out the way you want them. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%