Critique Facebook Page

Business By BakerGirl93 Updated 8 Jan 2013 , 1:38am by tykesmommy

BakerGirl93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerGirl93 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 10:32am
post #1 of 20

I've been making cakes and stuff for about a year-ish maybe two and I don't practice. I haven't made many and there is so much more I want to try but as of now I just make whatever people ask me to make.  So what do you think of what I've made? I've never taken a class or anything like that, I'm 19 and 100% self taught. Whatever I know is from books, magazines and youtube.  Here is my facebook page!  -> http://www.facebook.com/AmhCreations?fref=ts :).

19 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 20

I don't have a facebook (shocking - I know).  Can you post a link to a different website? Or upload some pictures on CC?

BakerGirl93 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 20

Oh sorry! Lol I'll post them on here. 

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 20

AI think your cakes are ok. However, if I am correct (and if I'm not, someone please correct me!!), I think you're violating copyright law. Especially with the Hello Kitty, Dora, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Playboy cakes. Be careful. Personally, I like icing that is more smooth than that, but overall, they're not too bad! Practice, practice, practice!!!

tykesmommy Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 20

AAlso, I'm not very good at honest opinions. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesmommy 

I think your cakes are ok. However, if I am correct (and if I'm not, someone please correct me!!), I think you're violating copyright law. Especially with the Hello Kitty, Dora, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Playboy cakes. Be careful. Personally, I like icing that is more smooth than that, but overall, they're not too bad! Practice, practice, practice!!!

You have an angry birds cake as your avatar... 

tykesmommy Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 20

AYes I do. That is my sons cake that wasn't sold.

BakerGirl93 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 20

Uhm not all of my cakes were sold. None of those anyways. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 20

i think they are great and you're doing amazing

do i think you are ready for a competition with Kerry Vincent as a judge no

but I like your work and i'm impressed that you are 19 and learning on your own

how far is kearny to oklahoma city??

maybe check out the cake show there in september or october every year

and the ices convention moves around every year--you'd enjoy that too

great stuff--keep up the good work!

BakerGirl93 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 20

Thank you! and yeah even If I were really good at cakes I don't think Id want her to judge mine! haha 

It's pretty far. I'm in Arizona, Kinda between Phoenix and Tucson. So a trip like that wouldn't be possible at the moment unfortunately 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesmommy 

Personally, I like icing that is more smooth than that, but overall, they're not too bad! Practice, practice, practice!!!

I agree... practice getting the icing smooth so it doesn't appear to be a cloth-wrapped mummy.

Also, presentation is everything... avoid using silver aluminum foil on presentation boards, if you want a more professional look.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 20

the i.c.e.s. convention is in kentucky in 2013 and Albuerquerque in 2014!!!

start saving up!!!

i went once omg

that vendor area is sheer roaring controlled chaos cake madness

you would love it!!!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 20

if you want the smooth look you can use a viva paper towel for crusting buttercream

you can use your nice warm clean hand to smooth chilled smbc

you'd get it as smooth as you can with a spatula then chill then smooth

you can get wilton fda approved foil for your cake boards if you want

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 20

A hot bench scraper would be more appropriate and sanitary for smoothing SMBC. 

tykesmommy Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 20

A

Original message sent by BakerGirl93

Uhm not all of my cakes were sold. None of those anyways. 

Uhm I didn't know if you knew or not. Also, I believe it is still infringement if you give them away. Whether you make nothing at all or a million dollars, it's the same. Just like if you use Wilton character pans, they are for home use only. Not to make a cake and sell it or give it away.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 12:07am
post #16 of 20

If you want to keep building on what you have, which is a GREAT start, look at the Craftsy classes,  there is a free butter cream one and they go on sale all the time.  Also, it's kinda pricey but Cake Camp is in Las Vegas which is close.  Don't stop learning and perfecting your craft. 

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 12:10am
post #17 of 20

Cake and Nails!!  Those are my 2 obsessions too!!!   LOL

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 12:22am
post #18 of 20

Do not remove the titles from threads or try and delete your posts.  The ability to do this is a glitch that is being fixed right now.  Once you post on CC, your post is public forever.  

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 1:34am
post #19 of 20

I assume you wanted honesty, since you asked all of us, and I assume your mother and friends already gave you their opinions. They look good for home, but no where near ready to sell. There is no substitute for practice! If you don't want to make a cake 'just to practice" then volunteer the cake at every party you attend, and volunteer for friends of friends, too ;-) You're on the right track., they are cute.

And whoever said "cloth wrapped mummy" those boobies totally reminded me of mummy boobies with peek a boo holes cut in the gauze :-D  ***y mummies, the new cake fad! If it is smbc or imbc, try chilling, and scraping your edges off. that is the only way I can get mine to look like icing and NOT gauze wrappings. I'm an Abc ans viva type of gal, I am in awe of cakes that do MBC well.

edited because I screwed up, lol

tykesmommy Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 1:38am
post #20 of 20

ALol I don't think mummy tatas is what she was going for. Maybe vampire boobies in a bikini. I didn't even see that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%