How Are You Saving A Buck?

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 26 Jul 2015 , 9:56pm by -K8memphis

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 5:59am
post #31 of 54

How much do your bars of soap weigh in america?

ShelbyLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbyLyn Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 6:33am
post #32 of 54

I use bars that are 4 to 4.5 ounces. HTH

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 11:23am
post #33 of 54

Thanks

ShelbyLyn Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 3:31pm
post #34 of 54

AYep!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 3:32pm
post #35 of 54

ok--this is kind of an accidental way i learned to stay warm without touching that dial!

my husband, a cyclist, rides his bicycle all year

memphis is sweltering in summer but it gets dang cold here for a while

and we have a perfectly drafty house

anyhow

when he comes back from a winter ride he will remove perfectly good still nice & toasty hand warmers

so i started using his leftovers then if it's real cold i  just get my own set for the day indoors

the disposable ones--they stay warm for hours

inexpensive, portable, keeps you warm!

(never mind about re-using the feet warmers icon_biggrin.gif )

but just a thought for a penny way to keep the dial down and be toasty

(but i have also made foot warmers for him from cayenne pepper too)

we got ice today--be careful out there!!!!

and thank you for all the great ideas upthread!!!

ShelbyLyn Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 3:57am
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj 

I don't have time to do this stuff, but it's very interesting. I'm always curious to see if it works. Here's a recipe with step-by-step directions...and most importantly, comments from users.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/03/15/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-detergent-and-save-big-money/

It's really quick. I made four gallons today in about an hour. Not an hour of mixing time, an hour from prep to clean-up. You can make as much at a time as you have room to store though. We don't have a garage, but if we did I would probably make a years supply at a time instead of a few months. It would still only take me about an hour and a half, and if i calculate the time it takes me to get the kids ready, get them in the car, drive to the store, stand in line and get home it would be about an hour, just for laundry soap. So same amount of time and I'm spending about $3 a gallon to make my own laundry soap instead of buying it for $12/gallon. But I understand that's not everybody :)

-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 10:19pm
post #37 of 54

i just got my detergent brew brewed--feels kinda meth labby/moonshiney--in a good way--smells good too!

how do y'all store it and use it

i thought a nice big pump dispenser would be nice

for now i'm just gonna use a half cup measure and dip it out

ShelbyLyn Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 7:46am
post #38 of 54

AI just use old store laundry detergent containers that i saved, but you could use milk jugs, or whatever you have around. And i measure a 1/2 cup for each load too!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:23pm
post #39 of 54

my husband used some this morning--i'm so excited

they are spinning in the dryer now

omg i can't believe i'm all excited about doing laundry!!

but i need to go back and peruse the instructions because

some of mine is gelatinous and some of it is liquidy

so if i re-mix i hope  it gets all gelatinousy up but

i know it will still clean

icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:31pm
post #40 of 54

yep he really likes it--clothes came out great--smells nice

i used ivory soap too

thanks for a great money saving idea. shelbylyn and imagenthatnj and all

and i think i'm gonna stick with the dip & pour for now

it's actually easier on the ancient wrists than wielding the heavy bottles around

and easier than the pump idea--easy peasist

anna, remnant, cazza, cheatize any & everyone if yous try it come & dish

ShelbyLyn Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 5:57pm
post #41 of 54

AYes, it gels on the top. That's normal. I just give the container a quick shake before each use and it works great! Glad i could help!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 7:23pm
post #42 of 54

hmm--mine kinda gels through out like giant wiggly soap amoeba/mozzarellas in a water bath

i did kinda use the whole bar of soap--i bought three in the pac--it was a small bar

maybe cut back next time?

icon_biggrin.gif

ShelbyLyn Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:10am
post #43 of 54

AHaha, mine does that a little, but if it's completely thick i'd use a little less soap. You should still have some thin watery parts.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:55pm
post #44 of 54

one of my mottos is

if a little is good a lot is better

it's just in the particular application of said motto that adjustments sometimes are required

icon_lol.gif

ShelbyLyn Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:43pm
post #45 of 54

AThat is how i feel about coffee right now... :)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:47pm
post #46 of 54

A

Original message sent by ShelbyLyn

That is how i feel about coffee right now... :)

me too! Having my second cup, and I've been up an hour. I'll drink the rest of the pot before bed ;-)

TigerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TigerBaker Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 5:33pm
post #47 of 54

A

Original message sent by jgifford

My dh and I both accepted transfers with our company which landed us right in the middle of the oil boom.  Housing is a joke and almost impossible to find, especially since the oil companies are snapping up any and all properties when they become available.

We bought a fifth-wheel camper and it has worked out really well for us - - it's a good thing we get along so well. It required some ruthless downsizing and we can't buy anything since there's no place to put it.  I even buy milk by the half-gallon because the fridge is so small. All utilites including cable and wifi are included in our lot rent, so there's not much to spend money on. Makes me wonder how much of my spending was unnecessary when we were in a house. We have been able to save quite a bit in the last 6 months.

So glad to hear because my hubby & I are on the road most of the year in different location, we were paying an adverse of $400 a week for hotel rooms, I started asking him to look around for a used camper, we found one bought it & we save so much also I cook so that also saves us money & love the fact of not packing & unpacking on every move.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 4:33pm
post #48 of 54

i love to make these cream cheese butter cookies which take a teaspoon of orange zest and (oranges are a buck fifty--omg)  

i could never figure out how to store the rest of the zest for the next batch -- today i got it -- i'm gonna incorporate it into a tablespoon of butter and freeze it -- sweet success --

i don't mind paying for the dang orange i just hated loosing all my extra zest  -- 

hooray cookies today And next week... :-D 

aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:34pm
post #49 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgifford 

My dh and I both accepted transfers with our company which landed us right in the middle of the oil boom.  Housing is a joke and almost impossible to find, especially since the oil companies are snapping up any and all properties when they become available.

We bought a fifth-wheel camper and it has worked out really well for us - - it's a good thing we get along so well. It required some ruthless downsizing and we can't buy anything since there's no place to put it.  I even buy milk by the half-gallon because the fridge is so small. All utilites including cable and wifi are included in our lot rent, so there's not much to spend money on. Makes me wonder how much of my spending was unnecessary when we were in a house. We have been able to save quite a bit in the last 6 months.

We bought an RV for necessity several years ago...we outgrew it and a friend renovated a school bus for me, hubby, and the new baby...the teenagers have the RV. It's definitely interesting in the way of "no space for what we don't have to have'. We're in the process of redoing my great-grandparents' house and my main focus is "optimal storage and space utilization". I hope I succeed! lol 

Quote:

Originally Posted by remnant3333 

In order to have the magic jack you need fast internet service for those of you who don't know.  Also, there is something called Roku which is sold on Amazon which will give you free movies, news etc as long as you have fast internet. There are some pros and cons of which you can read about it on the reviews on Amazon site when you type in Roku.  Some people don't like it and others love it.  It saves a whole lot of money instead of getting cable tv. We are switching over to just internet since  we can watch all the movies and shows on internet Hulu. Regular Hulu is free but Hulu plus on internet I think costs around 8 dollars a month if you want all the tv shows on regular television which is a lot cheaper than paying for cable tv.  We are going to buy the Roku once we switch over to just internet. There is also a lifetime site on internet which I can watch movies for free on.

I've wondered about the Magic Jack before. Thank you for this bit of info. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelbyLyn 

Yes! Happy to. My laundry recipe is

1/3 bar grated soap
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
2 gallons water

Heat 1/3 bar grated soda and some water (enough of the two gallons to fill a small pot) until soap is melted
Add borax and washing soda
Mix until all ingredients are dissolved
Add soap mix to the remaining water and mix well

Add 1/2 cup mixture to each load of laundry

As the soap mixture sits it will gel on top. This is normal, just remix and you're good to go!

I don't have a saved recipe for dish or hand soap, but if you google "homemade hand soap" or dish soap there are tons of recipes and you can scroll through until you find one you like. I change the recipes I use sometimes just depending on what I have on hand. HTH!

I've tried this laundry recipe before and it didn't work for the really smelly underarm issues. I just found this recipe and will be making it soon: http://www.savvysugar.com/All--One-Laundry-Bombs-31354476  For trial, I added some peroxide and vinegar (had on hand) to a wash with the basic recipe above and it totally got rid of the underarm smells. I have been looking for this solution for years (even tried commercial brands like Tide). Soaps can be interchangeable for the most part. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by remnant3333 

ShelbyLyn,  What is washing soda? Is this baking soda? if this is not baking soda, where do you buy it from? I would like to try and make this laundry recipe. Appreciate you sharing this information!!! Thanks/Mary

I discovered this little fact the other day.... Washing soda is actually baking soda that has been cooked for like 45 minutes (in a thin layer in an oven). By cooking it, you change the chemical composition and make something else. You buy washing soda in the laundry aisle of most stores. 

My own ideas for saving money. I shop thrift stores a lot. I try to barter my services (writing encouraging notes, giving readings) for some things I come across and like (soap, little pocket painting, crochet stuff, etc.) . Sometimes, I just come across it (like a coffee table and a nice recliner that were simply beside the road). 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:11pm
post #50 of 54

i wish i had thought of this when i had kids at home -- but we use the ruffley coffee filters for snacks, toast, sandwiches, especially 'to go' in the car, etc. -- i use them for dry mise en place ingredients-- disposable -- saves on hot water and dish washing energy -- a few trees bite the dust i guess there's always a trade off-- but we don't even use them for coffee ;)

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:35pm
post #51 of 54

I made the liquid version of laundry soap too and really like it, love the way my towels feel out of the dryer. The only problem is that it makes my whites a little dingy. I just made a dry version and it smells really good, the oxyclean helps with brightening the whites. Probably wont have to buy laundry detergent for a few years! Going to try the dish soap one next time.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 8:53pm
post #52 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by aprildaisy 

I've tried this laundry recipe before and it didn't work for the really smelly underarm issues.

ammonia works perfect-- kills the bacteria -- just pour some in to any load -- it's never hurt any of my fabrics -- of course it rinses out completely  -- and it's cheap!

aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 9:00pm
post #53 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

ammonia works perfect-- kills the bacteria -- just pour some in to any load -- it's never hurt any of my fabrics -- of course it rinses out completely  -- and it's cheap. 

I will look for it. For now, I'm happy with the new find! 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 9:56pm
post #54 of 54

i went looking for a thread i started and i found this one instead -- i've tried to locate this one previously so it's all good -- 

wonder what I was gonna say about saving a buck....can't remember but i'll just add--

you can check books out from your local library to read on whatever device you might have maybe everyone knows that but--

I'll be back...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%