Red Food Colouring

Decorating By cazza1 Updated 5 Jan 2013 , 8:00am by cazza1

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 11:06am
post #1 of 8

Last year I made this cake for my wedding anniversary.  I make fruit cakes because I love the taste but also because I can then look at the cake for as long as I like, knowing that it will not go off.

Within one week the pink had totally faded out and you would have sworn that I had used white icing.  I used Americolor gel to tint the icing.  On contacting the American company that I purchased the gel from I was informed that America has new laws on red food colouring and that it will no longer hold it's color.  The old red is no longer available as it was toxic.  I was advised to either make my cake close to serving time or keep it in a cool, dark place, neither being any use to me who likes to look at the cakes.  I was also informed that other parts of the world still use the old red food coloring as it has not been banned anywhere else and that I might like to purchase some red color from another country.

Considering the forum on Disco Dust I thought that this might be interesting to some of the other members who have not heard of it.  I know in Australia we quite often have things for years after they are banned in America.

7 replies
chenjessica01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chenjessica01 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 8

First, I will describe how we defined the band, it has caused some problems burberry watch men for me, a person, because they may have been looking for the answer here: you bend over, I saw a piece of metal in the middle, side, I have a sort of two half-moon of each apartment. These issue to increase the room in the same way to the center as a strap precious metals.I have some problems to start the clock, after all, I have overcome burberry strap watch this problem. Even if you know the stored energy, the occurrence of what happened, I was the last two hours, which is 5-6 times the the clock gas "Manual", and follow the instructions on the file. However, after a few googlings decided to liquidate a minute for a long period of time, I can do it well. If the clock shows the action than you consume, you will be able to on YouTube .. [...]The watch is completely amazing! This is so much better! Oh, my God, I am men burberry watches glad that my husband's birthday and the people of this table. Even if we have to find the link to delete the size, but it is worth it (thank you Macy) holds. About six months, I have this watch, and he really liked it! Has won a number of appearance praise, worn on the wrist is very good. My favorite aspect is the deployment buckle leather strap color. This is good to do,

I will keep a fantastic time. Although it does not cache Omega and Rolex, not price. For a long time, I intend to make this watch.I also bought this watch is worn on the weekends, and burberry watch sport I in my garden carpentry workshop. Unfortunately, I got some of the features of this watch than my watch! The United States has all the basic functions, timer, countdown, alarm clock, two time, it's cheap!Bulova is a good company, this is a great watch. However, no large burberry watch strap several hundred dollars Patek Philippe watches. I'll buy it. You will not regret answer less accurate clock second hand does not stop you, gently turning the crown, you really, you want to set reach larger Yeah, and then you have to give you one or two, which is (I guess 00:00) This is a place where you want the tip bits the crown back, waiting for the second hand. In. Stop exercising until you press the crownYou do not have a good crystal is usually cheap plastic usually found. burberry sport watch Stainless steel with special should be allowed to continue for a long period of time in the forum. wefkuh465

I like the guarantee, I am also very long, my husband absolutely loves his new watch. This is a Christmas gift, and I can not wait. It is his hope!We think this is my husband, to watch.This I love, he likes the gift, which is impressive. It's like a watch to wear.Then the cycle and the metal part of the symbol Bulova. When it comes to one burberry watch for men of the middle of it, you can resolve its aperture want.To you close you just in this sense, and you, on each side of the middle curve, can be taken to one of the metal member has two curves, cut right in.I click [OK]. So, look amazing. I received many compliments it. burberry men watches I think this is a heavy, but not a big too large, you who sit there and worn on the wrist like a watch, but a man and a beautiful, incredible trophy. Everyone around me was aware of this, I can not believe you paid it for me. The leather is very good. It is high quality. The first group is a bit difficult, you can not imagine, it is very useful!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 8

I had the same problem with this one, using the Americolor red to make pink. Let's just say when I tinted the fondant and covered the cake, the fondant was the same pink as the ribbon... the next day when I came to put the black lattice strips on, the cake had faded loads. It's due to leaving it in the light, any light, but especially flourescent or sunlight. I only use Sugarflair Extra Red now, definitely learnt my lesson. Oh and Americolor is not approved by the EU, but still some places sell it over here. It's because the Americans use different ingredients in their colours, apparently.

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:13am
post #4 of 8

At work we don't put pink and purple cakes in the display case for this reason, they will fade very noticeably in the span of just 24 hours.

cazza1 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:24am
post #5 of 8

In a recent order for Satin Ice I got a free 1kg bucket of purple icing.  When I opened it it was actually a lovely shade of blue.  It had no red left in it at all and it had not been exposed to light.  Didn't worry me as it was free but would have been very annoyed if I had been chasing purple.  See the attached photo.  Purple icing anyone?

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:55am
post #6 of 8

AAbsolutely stunning cake Dayti. Speechless.

Original message sent by Dayti

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2886576/]700 [/URL] I had the same problem with this one, using the Americolor red to make pink. Let's just say when I tinted the fondant and covered the cake, the fondant was the same pink as the ribbon... the next day when I came to put the black lattice strips on, the cake had faded loads. It's due to leaving it in the light, any light, but especially flourescent or sunlight. I only use Sugarflair Extra Red now, definitely learnt my lesson. Oh and Americolor is not approved by the EU, but still some places sell it over here. It's because the Americans use different ingredients in their colours, apparently.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 7:00am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Last year I made this cake for my wedding anniversary.  I make fruit cakes because I love the taste but also because I can then look at the cake for as long as I like, knowing that it will not go off.

Within one week the pink had totally faded out and you would have sworn that I had used white icing.  I used Americolor gel to tint the icing.  On contacting the American company that I purchased the gel from I was informed that America has new laws on red food colouring and that it will no longer hold it's color.  The old red is no longer available as it was toxic.  I was advised to either make my cake close to serving time or keep it in a cool, dark place, neither being any use to me who likes to look at the cakes.  I was also informed that other parts of the world still use the old red food coloring as it has not been banned anywhere else and that I might like to purchase some red color from another country.

Considering the forum on Disco Dust I thought that this might be interesting to some of the other members who have not heard of it.  I know in Australia we quite often have things for years after they are banned in America.

Cazza - you can buy Sugarflair in Australia. Its from the UK I believe. The BEST thing about it's purple, pink and red is that it doesn't have that awful bitter taste that the Americolor range has in the same colours. The colours will not fade. Also, another way around it is to airbrush your cake. If you can't get the Sugarflair, keep your pink, purple or red cakes out of UV light as this is what is causing the issue.

Re: the purple being blue...guess that is why it was free ;-)

When purple fades, its the red that is fading, so you end up with this shade of blue. Not sure why this happened, it might have been a faulty batch where they didn't add the red in! Usually the SI purple is a lovely shade of purple.

cazza1 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 8:00am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Evoir, I shall definately chase some up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%