Ever Take A Class At The French Culinary Institute?

Decorating By misschristinec Updated 4 Jan 2014 , 3:18am by Lfredden

misschristinec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misschristinec Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 10

Hi -

I'm a Jersey girl and was looking at a few of the courses at the Internationl Culinary Center (Formerly the French Culinary Institute) in NYC.

Has anyone taken any "non-credit" classes there?

http://www.internationalculinarycenter.com/courses/ny/pas/amat/fondant_and_royal_icing

I've only taken 1 class- an intro to cake decorating course by Wilton - which was a waste of my time.

I started working in an italian bakery when I was 13 yrs old - worked for 3 years and learn all sorts of ways of decorating with buttercream. (To this day I can not make a buttercream flower on a nail - I'm used to making them with a cuticle stick and fork!)

Over the past few years, I've learned fondant techniques through youtube videos - but I would like a bit more formal training - where I can ask loads of questions. I never sell my confections - I only bake for very close friends and family.

Any advice on fondant classes online or in NJ/NY?

Thanks

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 10

no i don't know about any particular school classes

any class you can take from an established big name caker in new york & jersey would be gold

ask your specific questions here

there is a wealth of information

if you ask how do i make a cake sculpture it would too broad an answer of course

if you ask how do i get this effect with fondant you probably would find out

plus there are tutorials here too

and do searches here

breadandcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breadandcake Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 10

Toba Garrett, award winning cake decorator teaches regularly at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City. She teaches everything from 1 day classes to a 240-hour professional training for cake decorators.

http://www.tobagarrett.com/

http://rec.iceculinary.com/ (search for Toba Garrett)

http://www.iceculinary.com/professional/Cake.shtml

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 10

meetup nyc cake decorators... im a member also. And atone of the culinary schools toba garrett has a week long course (3 of them actually) for $500+. its pricey but shes an amazing cake decorator and its worth it imo. 

PinkCakeBox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkCakeBox Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 10

I took the FCI Pastry Arts program several years ago.  Haven't taken any of their individual classes, but I have heard positive things about their individual classes.

Being a Jersey girl as well I know there are plenty of options in NJ for classes.  And of course there is always Craftsy which has some fondant courses (i.e. Marina Sousa's Advanced Fondanting Techniques)

Regards,

Anne

misschristinec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misschristinec Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 10

AThanks NY and Jersey Ladies! Appreciate the info.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 10

misschristinec, I am scheduled to take a few classes at Pink Cake Box in NJ soon.  I am really looking forward to them.   I have taken fondant classes with Sweet Irene in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY.  She is excellent.  She has a website and facebook page.  She offers beginner and advanced classes.  I know she has a beginner fondant class either in January or February.  I have taken her pillow cake class, shopping bag cake class, gumpaste shoe class, purse cake class, tiara class.  I have also taken the cookie decorating classes with Toba Garrett at ICE.  She is excellent also.  P.S. Since you worked in an Italian Bakery can you recommend a really good NY Italian Bakery Butter Cookie Recipe with the sprinkles and/or jam in between?  Thanks.  Kathy icon_biggrin.gif

smdegreeusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smdegreeusa Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 10

Appreciate the info.

Chef Education

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:17am
post #9 of 10

AI've taken three Toba Garrett classes and have learned a lot. In one of my classes there was a woman who took a class at the French Culinary Institute. She said she didn't learn nearly as much as she did with Chef Garrett. If you sign up for their email, they ocasio lay send you discount coupons,

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:18am
post #10 of 10

AI meant Occasionally

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%