Can I??

Decorating By Xs1nner Updated 12 Jan 2013 , 2:11pm by Xs1nner

Xs1nner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xs1nner Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 7

AHello, I am not new to cake decorating or baking, BUT I also have not used just a white ganache frosting either. My question is.. will a white ganache be safe to use as the "main" decor on a cake? The cake is to be chocolate, but I want color in it; that is why I am using white ganache. And will it stay.. I am doing a trial run.. but would like your input of how your experiences were with using white ganache as a frosting..

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 7

should be fine

i always liked using ganache because i chill my cakes and that stuff is like cement when it's cold

delicious cement but you know what i mean--really sturdy

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 1:45am
post #3 of 7

Do you intend to use it  so that it firms up from it's peanut-butter consistency or whip it and apply like American buttercream?

As K8 mentioned, once it's cold, the non-whipped version is seriously solid and has great 'staying power', even when not cold.

I've only used the whipped version as a filling, not as a final frosting. It didn't break down though as a filling.

HTH

Bodark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bodark Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 7

Ganache is wonderful to use, and being from Qld, Australia it's a must. Just remember to use 3:1 white choc to cream ratio as opposed to 2:1 with a darker choc. Inspired by Michelle has very good ganache tutorials on youtube that may be helpful.

Xs1nner Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 12:04am
post #5 of 7

Thank guys all ya'll replies sound great.. but to answer.. I would like to use it as a peanut butter consistancy kinda like use it to put some rosettes on a cake.. ya see i only use buttercream to do everything.. other than that i would use whipped ganache.. more lighter and yummier but everyone seems to like buttercream.. but this paticular person wants colored chocolate on her cake.. thus why i am using the white ganache..

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

Gotcha! The PB consistency will stay put. icon_smile.gif

Thinking out loud here as I haven't piped with the whipped version...when you make your icing, maybe whip up a bit of it. The color will be the same but a lighter shade and could be an interesting contrast to the PB consistency rosettes. It might be a good idea to do a practice whipped rosette to see how it holds up at room temp.  

Just curious...Does she also want a chocolate taste for the colored WC ganache? You can add flavoring if she does.

Xs1nner Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 7

AThank you!! Newbaker55 you have been a big help :D Back to basics for me :P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%