How Many Of You Own Special Order Only Storefronts?

Business By bittersweety Updated 1 Jan 2013 , 4:51pm by jason_kraft

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 2

HI all,

i'm still trying to figure the best way to reformat my bakery..ive been a fullservice bakery open 5 days a week for a year now and i love my shop, but as i am the only baker, the amount of work it takes to make all that product everyday (i do mainly pastries in the display cases) is wearing me down and its a ton of work for not a lot of pay.  i'm trying to rework my brain to the "work smart not hard" mentality...id love to reformat to be special order only so that i don;t have to open everyday and bust a** never to see the payoff... i want to start my main focus on wedding and specialty cakes with the occasioanl large cinnamon roll order (my town favorite)...however, i cant close and just work from home bc my state doesn't allow home bakeries and i really love my little shop...so my question... how many of you own storefronts that are special order only?  does it work for you?

thanks!

1 reply
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 2

AA compromise would be a rented commercial kitchen without a storefront, some have a reception area where you can meet clients and arrange for pickups. I ran a special order bakery from a rented kitchen in California successfully for 4 years before selling it in 2011, the key is having a business plan that outlines a path to both a decent profit margin for the business and a good wage for yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%