Stacking A Cake

Decorating By meriem Updated 31 Dec 2012 , 10:40pm by mandbsiblings

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 6

AHello guys :) I've been a silent member for a while now, and love going through all the threads! I'm making a two tiered cake and cupcakes for a wedding this Thursday coming. I have two questions if anyone can help? 1. When stacking the cake, when is the best time to do this? Right after covering in fondant or leave the cake to set and dry and stack the following day, or does it not make a difference? Both tiers will be red velevet I'm planing on using ganache to fill and cover, then letting it set overnight and covering in fondant the following day. I'm also using the Wilton separtator plates and dowels. 2. I'm planning on using an acrylic cake stand for the cupcakes and placing the two tiered cake on top ( a 8 and 6inch), I'm slightly worried that this will be too heavy for the stand, but I've seen pictures of it before so think its do able any ideas? Would appreciate any help :)

5 replies
venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there

I generally cover all my tiers with sugarpaste (fondant) and then dowel & stack straight away ready for the decoration part.

I am generally over cautious about stands/supports etc for cakes and I am not sure I would be comfortable with stacking two full tiers on an acrylic stand.

I usually make all cupcake stands to coordinate with the cake theme. You can see some stands at the link below and could adapt then design. I make them with cake drums covered with either sugarpaste or coloured card (card is then covered with clear plastic).

http://www.venuscakes.com/cupcakes/

The separators between are dummies covered with ribbon.

meriem Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 6

thank you for the reply, I'll take your advice and stack them straight away. i've done it once before in the same way but recently I've read online that its best not to (not sure were exactly) so thought I may be doing it wrong.

your stands look really nice such a great idea, thank you for sharing :)

meriem Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 6

Oops, I think I posted this in the wrong place and was meant to post on the 'how do i' forum. sorry CC and all. I'm new to this so wasn't sure :$ will be sure not to do this next time

mandbsiblings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandbsiblings Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 6

AHi everybody I know this is random but I really need to know this. Dose anybody have an idea of how much it would cost me for this cake?And dose anybody know who can make it? Thanks [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2883858/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

mandbsiblings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandbsiblings Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 6

AOk thank you I am new to this so I don't really know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%