Scalloped Edges With Buttercream

Decorating By Kristen0929 Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 6:37pm by -K8memphis

Kristen0929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristen0929 Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 1:33am
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I would like to replicate a technique of a scalloped edge on a cake I am working on. The technique that I have in mind came from a cake I saw that was iced in blue buttercream and then had a fondant layer over top that had a scalloped edge. (see below). I would like to ice it all in buttercream instead of using fondant but am not sure how to do this. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 5

You wanna do the scallop in buttercream? Ice the cake in the blue. Chill it. Slap enough red icing on the top of the cake and ice the top from the middle out pushing the icing over the edges smoothing the top down as you go. 

You would hold the spatula in your hand. Hover your same hand over the middle of the cake pointing the spatula out like a hand on a clock--push the excess  icing down over the edge at intervals with the flat part of the spatula. The tip of the spatula is rounded--it will perfectly make that scallop. Smooth the red icing.

Are you needing to know how to smooth a cake? What kind of frosting are you using?

Is that what you meant?

Kristen0929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristen0929 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply! Your instructions are a huge help! I would like the blue and red icing to be in buttercream. I watched a clip on smoothing buttercream with papertowl after its crusted, but it still left a pattern on the buttercream. Do you have any tips on how to smooth the buttercream without leaving a pattern from the papertowl? I am using just a regular american buttercream (butter + powdered sugar).

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 5

Make sure your paper towel is pattern free (all smooth, no design on it) Or you can use parchment paper too.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 5

Buy Viva paper towels--they are smooth.

Or

If you have a smoothy smooth flat weave *brand new kitchen towel that will work. Or if you have some brand new freshly washed light weight ish cotton fabric or any smoothy smooth fabric.

* Our used fabrics of course hold bacteria even if perfectly laundered--I just recommend to err on the side of safety.

I'm so glad to know what I wrote is readabley followable.

(purty sure those are words :)

Best decorating to you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%