Using Hazelnut Meringue In A Cake Layer. Advice Please?????

Baking By Danilou Updated 27 Dec 2012 , 11:08pm by Danilou

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 3:14am
post #1 of 7

Hi, I'm planning on making a cake similar to the 12 layer mocha cake http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2008/12/twelve-layer-mocha-cake

I may use my regular chocolate cake for this recipe instead of the chocolate souffle, otherwise do you think the hazelnut meringue will hold up for several days at room temperature in this cake under fondant? This cake has alternate layers of chocolate souffle, sponge, coffee meringue buttercream and hazelnut meringue.

6 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:45am
post #2 of 7

Yes it will!  I mean, it will absorb some of the moisture in the cake but will be very tasty.  Looking at this makes me want to make it for myself.  Triple YUM!

Danilou Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 5:54am
post #3 of 7

It looks delicious doesn't it?!!!!!!!!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 7

You have a few choices.

The meringue will slightly soften if there is buttercream on both sides of it.  This is expected of European cakes. Dacquoise layers are made specifically with nut flour and sometimes starch to keep their shape when that happens.

Or you could paint the meringue with a thin layer of melted chocolate on both sides, and let that harden up completely.  That will waterproof it some to keep it crisper in the layer cake.

Either way you will have a super delicious torte.

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 7

It looks perfect!

I just had my first experience with hazelnut dacquoise: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2871418/the-inside-picture-of-my-bonsai-crane-birds-cake-a-hazelnut-dacquoise-and-chocolate-genoise-cake/album/8/flat/1

Your picture looks far more sophisticated than my cake, I will go for that level of perfection. Whow!

I followed the recipe on the Cake Bible of Rose Levy Beranbaum. On its own, the hazelnut layer last for weeks outside the fridge, but once assembled it will attract moist. Rose's says it holds up for 2 days in an assembled cake (page 166 CB).

A small layer of chocolate spread on top will give it more time.

So I am very curious FromScratchSF: have you had experience to let it last longer than 2 days? I was afraid of making it earlier, so I just followed the recipe rule.

(sorry for any bad English, it is not my native language)

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieperdepiep 
I followed the recipe on the Cake Bible of Rose Levy Beranbaum. On its own, the hazelnut layer last for weeks outside the fridge, but once assembled it will attract moist. Rose's says it holds up for 2 days in an assembled cake (page 166 CB).

I am now actually doubting. Maybe it is the genoise in this assembled cake that makes the 2 days, not the daqcuoise?

Danilou Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for that everyone. I had thought of spreading melted chocolate on it both sides, so will do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%