4-Wheeler Cake - How To?

Decorating By cakesbycee Updated 27 Dec 2012 , 3:19am by tykesmommy

cakesbycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycee Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a cake that will have a 4-wheeler as a topper.  My client wants it to be edible.  My initial thought was to form the 4-wheeler out of rice krispies, but I've never done that before and only seen it done on TV.  Any advice on molding from rice krispies? 

I have carved objects from cake before, but figured this object would be too difficult to carve.  If I don't have any luck w/ rice krispies, any other suggestions? 

I am somewhat familiar w/ gumpaste/fondant, but have never molded a large object like this before, so I didn't want to go that route - should I?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

-CeeCakes

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 10

I made a car out of rkt. I mean you can turn it on it's side if you want, you can sand the rice nubblies off with a zester and make it smooth for fondanting. I covered it with modeling chocolate first because I wanted to make the windshield & windows look recessed like a real car. Rkt is very firm and forgiving. I used to have a tutorial on webshots but webshots all changed hands or something. But I could not recommend it more highly. I mean you can make it days and weeks in advance.

I gently melt my marshmallows and the butter--I use one cup less rice krispies than the recipe calls for. I would say to make the general shape you want--make it a bit bigger all over so you can sculpt it out of there. And let it set up overnight before sculpting. You can get all your details put in with the modeling chocolate which is so much more forgiving than fondant then cover with fondant, remove your windows and viola.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 10

See the rkt in the wheel well?

cakesbycee Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 10

Newb question, but what does "rkt" stand for?  :/  Thanks.  That car is awesome, btw!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry, rkt is 'rice krispie treats' I shoulda wrote it out.

And thank you.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 10

And it's about 18 inches long too so rkt is a great medium for cars I think. Holds up great.

You can really take your time.

cakesbycee Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 12:13am
post #7 of 10

ADuh. Lol. Thanks so much for the tips!!!! :)

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 12:57am
post #8 of 10

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

And it's about 18 inches long too so rkt is a great medium for cars I think. Holds up great. You can really take your time.

K8memphis! That car is incredible!!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 3:00am
post #9 of 10

Thank you!

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 3:19am
post #10 of 10

AVery nice job k8memphis!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%