Fondant Troubles..

Decorating By Liss26 Updated 23 Dec 2012 , 11:43pm by vgcea

Liss26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liss26 Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:23am
post #1 of 4

I am very new in the cake decorating business & I want to know what would be the right consistency for fondant. Whether it'd be thick or thin enough. Can someone please help me outhere :) Oh and also if there is a certain machine that I can use for it or do I just roll it out with a rolling pin.. Please Let Me Know , and Thank You . :D

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:31am
post #2 of 4

1/8 to a 1/4 inch is about the norm for covering a cake.. Machinery to roll out fondant for covering a cake is hundreds to thousands of dollars. Rolling pins work great.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:31am
post #3 of 4

HI, most people that are good at using fondant, will roll it 1/8" thick. Some will roll it 1/4" thick. Lots of big bakeries do have a fondant roller. Most home bakers roll with a rolling pin. There are many kinds of rolling pins. Whats best for you is good. There are lots of good tasting fondant out there also. There us Satin Ice (google that and you will see lots of tutorials on fondant, also youtube.com... Lots of how tos all over the internet and also on cake central. You have to roll it smooth and also place it on the cake smooth ,etc. Again , just play around on the internet and you will see lots of tutorials. hth

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 4

RE: the consistency. I take it you will be making your own? If so I would suggest buying a small tub of commercially made fondant and playing around with it. It'll help you know what consistency to aim for in your home-made fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%