Tier Sizes And Sps

Decorating By rifmu Updated 8 Mar 2013 , 12:56am by CWR41

rifmu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rifmu Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 2:57am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

someone asked me for a 3 tier cake, but they don't want it too big, is it reasonable to do 8-6-4 inches?

Also, i see that SPS system doesn't come in 4 inch plates... Will this cake be stable enough for transport without SPS just with dowels?

Thanks!

4 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

I use bubbe tea straws for all my cakes with 2 wooden dowels all the way down the cake (offset from the center).

If you really want to use the SPS system I would stack the 8" and 6".  Then stick bubble tea straws (3) in the 6" cake and add the 4" tier at the venue.  Because you can hammer dowels all the way through the cake with the use of SPS plates, I would trust the top tier to stay on during the delivery.

pookmyster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookmyster Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 5

AWhat does sps system stand for?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311 

I use bubbe tea straws for all my cakes with 2 wooden dowels all the way down the cake (offset from the center).

If you really want to use the SPS system I would stack the 8" and 6".  Then stick bubble tea straws (3) in the 6" cake and add the 4" tier at the venue.  Because you can hammer dowels all the way through the cake with the use of SPS plates, I would trust the top tier to stay on during the delivery.

Did you mean to say that you "can't hammer dowels thru the cake with the SPS" and you "wouldn't trust the top tier to stay on?" 

If so then I agree. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookmyster 

What does sps system stand for?

Separator Plate System - it's a specialty system of plates and dowels that is really sturdy and reliable for tiered cakes. 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 12:56am
post #5 of 5

SPS = Single-Plate Separator (by Bakery Crafts)

https://www.bakerycrafts.com/ItemSearchResults.aspx?SrchStr=sps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%