What Are You Having Fun Making This Holiday Season?

Decorating By shanter Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 5:34pm by -K8memphis

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 19

I am having fun making peanut brittle for gifts for people at work, neighbors,  letter carrier, proprietress of local cake shop, etc. For my family I'm going to make Brazil nut fruitcake (it's mostly whole nuts, very little fruit) and attempt to make cupcakes with Christmas ornament tops (new for me).

18 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 19

AOh darn I asked the wrong person to make me peanut brittle.....now I usually make my own but I had surgery and have a broken foot.. so you need to make extra brittle for me. :grin: yummy

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 19

Kazita, you need to hire an elf. I have one (my niece). :-)

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 2:29am
post #4 of 19

Bread!

It started with pretzel rolls and home made tortillas...I no longer buy tortillas and the pretzel rolls have turned out to be a HUGE hit. I serve them with 3 types of mustard for dipping. Someone just asked me how much for a dozen. I didn't think she was serious so I quoted what I think is an outrageous price and she didn't bat an eye, ordered a dozen for next week icon_biggrin.gif. (FYI, perfectly OK under my state's CFL icon_wink.gif)

Turns out the pretzel rolls were fairly forgiving. I did make a good focaccia but my other attempts didn't go so well. I took a class and now I've added a yummy white milk bread, cinnamon raisin bread and brioche to my repertoire.  

Other fun stuff...lemon meringues with Christmassy stripes and I think I'm going to try some butterscotch candies tomorrow. Candy can be really hard at my high altitude, though.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:29am
post #5 of 19

Christmas cookies. This year, I've selected 8 recipients. I got slightly smaller containers than last year. I'll be giving them shortbreads, oatmeal cookies, my own "Innsbruck Dream Bars" (there's a thread on them, I think), and maybe, time and space permitting, some cashew butter cookies (I ended up buying an empty spice bottle for under a buck at BB&B, and stamping the impression of the shaker-top, to differentiate them from peanut butter cookies).

Speaking of which, after doing a brake job on my car as it was starting to drizzle (NOT something I did for fun; I did it because I could hear the rotors beginning to gall, and I came about a hairsbreadth away from having to at least have them turned, and maybe having to buy new ones), I baked the main double-batch of shortbreads (NOT 2-layer "wood type cookies"; just the usual "integral sign"), and the very first experimental single-batch of cashew butter cookies. Not bad, although the cooking time in my mother's old peanut butter cookie recipe was about 3 minutes too long, and so I got a lot of scorched ones in the first sheet.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:47am
post #6 of 19

Cake pops.  Made some pink and purple princess ones for the bake sale at my daughter's recital and some Christmas ones for my nieces and nephew.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 6:05am
post #7 of 19

Elcee I started making sourdough bread six months ago.  Possibly one of my less sane ideas as it is sooo tasty we do not want to eat bought bread anymore.  You need to be patient but it is well worth  the effort and I am using the same starter I made back then.  I t gets sourer and more tasty every week.

I love all sweet things which are not good for the waistline and every Christmas I make lollies and nougat of some description.  This year I made almond, cranberry and glace fruit nougat and peanut butter fudge.  YUM!  I don't think they will last until Christmas day!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 4:16am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Elcee I started making sourdough bread six months ago.  Possibly one of my less sane ideas as it is sooo tasty we do not want to eat bought bread anymore.  You need to be patient but it is well worth  the effort and I am using the same starter I made back then.  I t gets sourer and more tasty every week.

Ooooh, sourdough. Just added to my list to try!

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 19

Chocolate Christmas Tree Centerpieces and New Year's Eve Chocolate Bling Shoes.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 19

Finally, a picture of what I made for fun:

xmascookies2012

My 2012 Christmas cookies:
Clockwise from top left:

Innsbruck Dream Bar: chopped cashews and macadamia nuts with almond flakes and rolled oats in a caramel custard, over a brown sugar shortbread crust. A re-imagining of the old Betty Crocker "Vienna Dream Bars" mix.

Cashew butter cookie: based on my mother's peanut butter cookie recipe. Instead of the "fork crosshatch" imprint that's traditional for peanut butter cookies, these are imprinted with a spice jar shaker-top. New for this year.

Shortbread: from my mother's famous recipe.

Oatmeal cookie: from the 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Background: one of eight half-gallon buckets I filled with this year's cookies. It holds a dozen each of the shortbreads, oatmeal cookies, and Innsbruck Dream Bars, and half a dozen of the cashew butter cookies.

sourcherriex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sourcherriex Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 19

Gingerbread cookies! I loooove gingerbread. Especially soft, spicy cookies.  Ooh, and fudge. And now I have an amazing kitchenaid mixer, I am going to make tons of bread this weekend!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Finally, a picture of what I made for fun:

xmascookies2012

My 2012 Christmas cookies:
Clockwise from top left:

Innsbruck Dream Bar: chopped cashews and macadamia nuts with almond flakes and rolled oats in a caramel custard, over a brown sugar shortbread crust. A re-imagining of the old Betty Crocker "Vienna Dream Bars" mix.

Cashew butter cookie: based on my mother's peanut butter cookie recipe. Instead of the "fork crosshatch" imprint that's traditional for peanut butter cookies, these are imprinted with a spice jar shaker-top. New for this year.

Shortbread: from my mother's famous recipe.

Oatmeal cookie: from the 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Background: one of eight half-gallon buckets I filled with this year's cookies. It holds a dozen each of the shortbreads, oatmeal cookies, and Innsbruck Dream Bars, and half a dozen of the cashew butter cookies.

I love the spice jar shaker top imprint--too cool. That opens a world of possibilities.

And I love that you dated the'1969 Betty Crocker' cookie dealio--just some trivia--I think I have one of the first  Betty Crocker cookbooks in the line 1950/1951--it is literally in tatters.

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 19

This year I made somewhere in the neighborhood of about 800 cookies: peanut butter (two different receipes), ginger, oatmeal raisin, oatmeal chocolate chip, Mexican Festival, honey cookies, and good old fashion chocolate chip... I made Elvis Cupcakes, Spice cupcakes, Rootbeer Cupcakes, rum buns, snowflake rolls for Christmas Eve dinner, a Red Velvet Cheesecake for Christmas Eve dessert and cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning... now I am on to plan New Years Day Dinner... I have gotten so far as the black-eyed peas...

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 19

Hmm. Approximately 800.  Wow.

Double-batch of shortbreads worked out to about 120-130.

2 batches of oatmeal worked out to about 65-69 per batch, so call it 130

2 batches of cashew butter at 45-48 each, call it 95

3 9x13 batches of Innsbruck Dream Bars at 36 per pan, 108

So I only made it to around 450-odd cookies.

You almost doubled my total, and more than doubled my variety.

Did you end up with a terminal case of dishpan hands, too?

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 1:47am
post #15 of 19

I made dark chocolate thumbprints, rosemary ice box cookies, crispy peppermint bark and crack cookies (an altered version of the momofuku milk bar's chocolate chip marshmallow cornflake cookies). My mom made butterballs, lemon ice box cookies and gingersnaps, and we traded with each other.

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 12:56pm
post #16 of 19

Yes, my hands are painfully dishpanned... I am hoping for a good manicure in the New Year!!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 3:04pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by megpi 

I made dark chocolate thumbprints, rosemary ice box cookies, crispy peppermint bark and crack cookies (an altered version of the momofuku milk bar's chocolate chip marshmallow cornflake cookies). My mom made butterballs, lemon ice box cookies and gingersnaps, and we traded with each other.

Megpi, How interesting--rosemary cookies! I googled it and got a ton of rosemary bleu cheese cookies. But are yours sweet or savory? Does yours have the bleu cheese too? Would you possibly share your recipe?????

Thanks

Kate

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 5:05pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Megpi, How interesting--rosemary cookies! I googled it and got a ton of rosemary bleu cheese cookies. But are yours sweet or savory? Does yours have the bleu cheese too? Would you possibly share your recipe?????

Thanks

Kate

This is the recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/316495/rosemary-butter-cookies

It's a sweet cookie, and surprisingly good. I have a friend that requests them every year and had me make them for her wedding.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you so much!! Those sound amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%