Covering Double Barrel/extended Tier Cakes In Fondant

Decorating By sixbittersweets Updated 17 Dec 2012 , 12:05am by sixbittersweets

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 3:57am
post #1 of 6

Hi there!

I'm making my first double-barrel fondant cake this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of a video demonstrating the method of covering double barrel cakes that involves wrapping the fondant around the sides, then gathering it up at the top (see photo below for visual representation)?  I know there are videos for the other techniques, but I'm especially interested in that one.  

Even if there isn't a video, I'd love to get any tips from those of you who have done it.  Thanks so much in advance!

-XL

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

I've done several. What's the diameter of the DB you're doing? Might not need to wrap at all if it's big enough. For 8" and up, I just cover like any normal tier.

sixbittersweets Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for responding!  It's going to hopefully be an 8 x 8" in terms of diameter and height.  Do you think I should do that normally?  I'm still pretty new at working with fondant and am worried it'll dry up and/or wrinkle up toward the bottom.  I love your work and am honored to get your input!

-XL

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 6

I would do it one piece, but I'm really familiar with it. Since it's an 8", your diameter and height are basically the same, so there's less chances for puckering and pleating. Smaller than that, and it it's tricky for sure. I will add some tylose to the fondant if I feel I need to, and will roll it a bit thicker than normal. I also use meringue BCs, so I chill it rock hard before covering, which helps a lot. 

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 10:37am
post #5 of 6

I've done the all on one go but next time I will do the wrapping technique, I think its much easier to buff smooth a seem then to fix any potential tears.
Here's a flickr pictorial of the all in one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deliciously_decadent/sets/72157621850372685/ 
Also from watching the video's of some US bakers, your sugarpaste looks like its made out of some unbreakable material, slapping it all over the place and what not.

sixbittersweets Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 12:05am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to both of you!  I ended up trying the wraparound and gather at top technique but I ended up barely being up to hold up the huge piece of fondant and would've had to start over rolling it out if my boyfriend didn't come to the rescue.  Still had positioning and tearing issues and the was SO much extra at the top.  I think I'll try either the panel wraparound and top or normal from top down method next time...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%