Lumpy High Ratio Shortening

Baking By linnod Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 3:32pm by linnod

linnod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnod Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 14

Wondering if anyone can help? I purchased a large case of high ratio shortening but I am finding it lumpy. Not smooth like crisco brands. Does anyone know why? Should I be doing something to it first?

13 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 14

AHmm does it smell bad or rancid as they use the term? I'm wondering if it was stored somewhere where it was hot enough to melt at least some..than it hardened once it got to a cooler place. Did you have it shipped to you or buy it locally? Most places won't take it back, they have a clause in place saying that they are not responsible for the shortening melting.. But if you bought it locally it wouldn't hurt to try and take it back and either exchange it or ask for your money back but don't be surprised if they won't do either. If it doesn't smell bad it might of melted than just rehardened and is fine other than the lumps...if you can't return it try making a batch of buttercream, first thing I do is put in the shortening and whip on high for a couple of minutes ( I have a KA that I bought the new paddle that scraps the sides while mixing) anyways if it smells ok try making a batch of buttercream and see if it taste right and see if you can whip all the lumps out of it. May I ask where did you purchase it from?

linnod Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 12:48am
post #3 of 14

Katiza, The company is called Bunge. They were nice enough to send me a sample. A very large sample (50lb block) but I am finding it lumpy. It smells fine and I did do a batch of butter cream but it still had small little lumps that just didn't mix in well. Should I whisk it first before I try again or should I use the paddle?I do store it in a cool dry area. Maybe it's too cool?  Also, is it true if you over mix high ratio shortening it makes your butter cream grainy. 

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 1:49am
post #4 of 14

AHere's my buttercream recipe 2 Cups high ratio shortening 2 teaspoofuls butter flavoring 4 teaspoons clear vanilla extract 20 teaspoofuls heavy whipping cream 2Tablespoonfuls meringue powder 2 pounds name brand C and H powered sugar sifted

I mix or beat with the paddle all the liquid ingredients I do this at medium speed for 2 or 3 minutes. I turn the mixer off and add the meringue powder I turn on low and mix for a minute I add the powdered sugar a cup at a time on medium speed towards the end the mixer has trouble mixing because this is a very stiff buttercream slowly add more heavy whipping cream mixing while you do this keep adding the heavy cream a teaspoon at a time until you get the consistency desired. This is a crusting buttercream I beat it light and fluffy to ice cakes and alittle stiffer for decorations. To answer your questions if you don't have the new paddle that scraps the bowl while it's going I'm not sure if mixing just the shortening with the paddle on high will get rid of the small lumps .do you own a hand mixer? That might work whip just the 2 cups of shortening in a bowl by itself than add that to the mixer and proceed with the recipe. I don't think you can whisk the lumps out but I might be wrong. It might pay to invest in a hand held mixer to get the lumps out they are pretty cheap. I've never heard of high ratio shortening making buttercream more grainy. Are you using Powertel sugar? Not regular sugar. There are all kinds of ways to make buttercream so someone else might chime in with a different recipe. How in the world did you get a 50 pound block given to you? They usually sell that amount for over a hundred dollars. A cool dry place for storing should be ok you can also freeze it in small containers here's a website where she makes buttercream icing close to mine go to the website and click on tutorials than go to how to make buttercream maybe watching the video will help. Make another batch and let me know how it turns out. Heres the website www.designmeacake.com

linnod Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 2:01am
post #5 of 14

Kazita, You have been sooo helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I do have a hand mixer and I will try a batch tomorrow and let you know how it works. About the shortening, only by the grace of God! There is a company here in Maine that orders from them and I asked if I could please have a sample and because they didn't give samples they sent me that. What a wonderful company to do that. I hope to use them in the future. 

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 2:10am
post #6 of 14

AOn the website I gave you she is making half the amount of everything in other words my recipe is double hers and she uses water I use heavy whipping cream it makes the buttercream even more creamer and she says not to mix it along time I whip the heck out of mine again making it light and fluffy. If you have problems icing your cake go to the same website and watch her video on how to ice a cake. Let me know how things turn out

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 2:50am
post #7 of 14

AI read up on the company Bunge I believe what you have is a non-traditional form of high ratio shortening it does say that bakeries use there product but I'm not sure if they are using it for icing anyways if its the product that I read up on you might be able to still use it for buttercream but it has no trans fat in it you need to add fat back into it thus comes the heavy whipping cream hopefully that works if not than we need someone else here to chime in with any thoughts. In the long run if it doesn't work out to be the right kind of shortening don't be discouraged you just need to get your hands on the traditional kind of high ratio shortening not Crisco or off brand name shortening if you don't have a cake supply store any where close to buy high ratio shortening than do a Google search for CK high ratio shortening there are other brands but I prefer CK brand find a website that sells it in 3 pound tubs check a few different sites out some sell the 3 pound tub for around $10 plus shipping try and find a site that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping all in all if you buy online plan on spending about $20 for a 3 pound tub is it worth it? I think so once you taste high ratio buttercream the rest doesn't compare. They do sell high ratio shortening in 50 pound blocks I don't know if CK sells it but sweetex and alpine sell it you don't want sweetex z that has zero trans fat . Well let's hope what you do have makes a smooth creamy buttercream...let me know

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:17am
post #8 of 14

Ahttp://www.******************/hirash3lbs.html the 3 containers for $30 plus shipping is a really good deal.. I pay $13.50 for a 3 pound tub of it at my cake supply store and that doesn't include having to drive an hour away to the store to get it. Onething to remember if you get hooked on high ratio shortening is that if you need it when it's hot outside and have to buy it online the supplier has a disclaimer that they are not responsible if the shortening melts during shipping and it's hard to have a supplier willing to ship to you during the summer months

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:22am
post #9 of 14

Ahttp://www.******************/hirash3lbs.html there's the website being it didn't work in my last post

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:26am
post #10 of 14

AWww.****************** hopefully it works this way. In the search bar type in CK high ratio shortening

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:30am
post #11 of 14

AOk I'm not sure why that site isn't working I guess just go to Google than type in CK high ratio shortening and check a few of the websites out

linnod Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you Thank you Thank you, Wow, it worked. I whipped the heck out of the HR shortening and it is beautiful. So smooth, lighter and fluffier. I used it to make your butter cream and it came out wonderful. I did have to use quite a bit more heavy cream. Question, can this butter cream be left out? I know it has dairy so I was just wondering if it would be ok to leave out.. Again, thank you so much for your help.

kazita Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 14

AGood question...lol I put it in the frig. If it's just the frosting I put it back into the mixer and beat until fluffy again than ice whatever I'm going to ice...I do refrigerant whatever I have iced but I like it best at room temperature ...it seems that whatever I ice with this recipe doesn't stay around long enough to have to worry about refrigeranting. That being said I store my cakes and cupcakes in the frig

linnod Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 14

Hi Kazita, Do you know if its fine to use water with no trans fat high ratio shortening? I am not sure if it is safe to leave cake out if I have used cream or milk in buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%