Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:21am
post #1741 of 3221

A

Original message sent by SDLocke87

My favorite was a lady who when I quoted $50 for an XBox controller cake told me that the price was ridiculous as all the was was a white block with a couple colored circles on it. I told her she could go make it herself then! (Later that week she did call me back and end up ordering it after getting quotes from a few other places around town! lol)

There is something very satisfying about this. Getting to put her in her place and still have her come back sounds like some kind of dream!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:22am
post #1742 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

There is something very satisfying about this. Getting to put her in her place and still have her come back sounds like some kind of dream!

I would have told her I was booked up.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:46am
post #1743 of 3221

Or I would have charged her a rush fee since it took her a week to decide....LOL

Ooooppss...sorry gonna have to charge you a PITA price! icon_biggrin.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:22pm
post #1744 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

Or I would have charged her a rush fee since it took her a week to decide....LOL

Ooooppss...sorry gonna have to charge you a PITA price! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry I'm no longer available for that date!

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:53pm
post #1745 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle 

They must think the dummies come already decorated and all you have to do is put them together.  I don't know what's happened to people's common sense.  It's like they just don't have any any more.  And it's hard to believe the sense of entitlement so many people have these days!

So true ! some people feel so entitled to get cheap or free not just in the cake business .

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 3:53pm
post #1746 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Cakery2012

So true ! some people feel so entitled to get cheap or free not just in the cake business .

This. My mom works in a department store and had a customer call in to ask about a refund yesterday for a product he has had for a few months and wore out. She said they would need a receipt for a full refund or it would be for the last sale price. Nice to offer a refund on something the customer wore out and standard refund policy, right? Well not good enough for this guy. He yelled, swore at her repeatedly... After asking him to stop swearing at her with no result, she hung up. Then told the store manager in case the customer called back to complain. Store managers response? "You shouldn't hang up on a customer ever. The customer is always right, it's better to just give them the refund and have them satisfied. "

It's no wonder people expect everything for free these days. They've been trained to expect it.

Strubbette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strubbette Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 4:07pm
post #1747 of 3221

Is it bad that whenever I have one of THOSE customers that I immediately think of this thread now?

Here is mine for the day:

I get a call this Monday from a lady who wants a baseball themed cake for her son. He really loves the cardinals so if I could put that on there it would be great. I give her a quote of $67.50 for an 8" 3 layer cake with 2 layers of filling( $52.50 is my usual cost with simple decorating - border and message)  plus the custom decorating ($15) . She tells me shes on a budget and there will only be 10 kids so she doesn't need that much cake ( shes already told me that she has spent over $400 on this party. Who does that if they are on a budget). She I tell her I will swap out one of the layers of cake in exchange for the decorating price so it will be a 2 layer with custom decorating for the same price as my normal 3 layer with simple decorating ( are you still with me here?) so the price would be $52.50. I also explain to her that I couldn't make an exact replica of the red bird and bat because of copyright but if she wanted to bring something in I could put it on the cake. I also tell her that I would look for something with the Cardinals on it but couldn't promise anything and that I would charge her for it when she picked it up. Oh, and shes picking it up Thursday. This Thursday. 3 days after calls to book it.

Ok. Everything sounds great. She calls me back to book the cake and pay the deposit a few hours later. She even paid for the entire order. I was nice enough to not even charge my usual 25% rush fee on cakes booked with less than a weeks notice ( I have learned a lot from you guys).

I make the cake. White frosting, red and white trim. Air brush grass. Baseball diamond made out of graham cracker crumbs. Bases, pitchers mound, and home plate out of fondant. Baseball bat made out of caramel. Baseballs out of fondant. And put a variation of the STL on it. Mind you this in an 8"cake so there isn't much room for anything else. I send the pics to hubby and my best friend ( I work alone so I always try to get a second opinion in case I miss something) and get the green light from both. I call and tell her she can pick her cake up.

And she complains as soon as she sees it. she cant believe I charged that much for such little work. And the cake doesn't look very big. And she thought I was going to go out and buy something to put on it. Why doesn't it have his name on it? Why doesn't it say Happy Birthday on it? It doesn't have his age on it. And the parting shot "I guess I will have to take it as is because I don't have time for you to change anything

WHAT????? Are you serious????? Nobody else in town would have touched that cake for the price, what she wanted on it, within her budget, and with only 3 days notice! Not to mention the cake wasn't big enough for a baseball diamond, writing, logo, and accessories!!!

Now that I got that off my chest.. I am closing shop early so I can go enjoy a Cardinals game with the hubby!

thelittlecakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thelittlecakery Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 4:25pm
post #1748 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakery2012 

That is quite possibly my biggest pet peeve is how everyone has a sense of entitlement.  I'm sorry, I do not just give things away for a person to just exist! If you want something from me, work for it, pay me for it, we can figure something out but this baker/lady does not tolerate a sense of entitlement and I will be happy to tell you that.

madeofcream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madeofcream Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:30pm
post #1749 of 3221

Seen worse.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 8:53pm
post #1750 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubbette 

Is it bad that whenever I have one of THOSE customers that I immediately think of this thread now?

Here is mine for the day:

I get a call this Monday from a lady who wants a baseball themed cake for her son. He really loves the cardinals so if I could put that on there it would be great. I give her a quote of $67.50 for an 8" 3 layer cake with 2 layers of filling( $52.50 is my usual cost with simple decorating - border and message)  plus the custom decorating ($15) . She tells me shes on a budget and there will only be 10 kids so she doesn't need that much cake ( shes already told me that she has spent over $400 on this party. Who does that if they are on a budget). She I tell her I will swap out one of the layers of cake in exchange for the decorating price so it will be a 2 layer with custom decorating for the same price as my normal 3 layer with simple decorating ( are you still with me here?) so the price would be $52.50. I also explain to her that I couldn't make an exact replica of the red bird and bat because of copyright but if she wanted to bring something in I could put it on the cake. I also tell her that I would look for something with the Cardinals on it but couldn't promise anything and that I would charge her for it when she picked it up. Oh, and shes picking it up Thursday. This Thursday. 3 days after calls to book it.

Ok. Everything sounds great. She calls me back to book the cake and pay the deposit a few hours later. She even paid for the entire order. I was nice enough to not even charge my usual 25% rush fee on cakes booked with less than a weeks notice ( I have learned a lot from you guys).

I make the cake. White frosting, red and white trim. Air brush grass. Baseball diamond made out of graham cracker crumbs. Bases, pitchers mound, and home plate out of fondant. Baseball bat made out of caramel. Baseballs out of fondant. And put a variation of the STL on it. Mind you this in an 8"cake so there isn't much room for anything else. I send the pics to hubby and my best friend ( I work alone so I always try to get a second opinion in case I miss something) and get the green light from both. I call and tell her she can pick her cake up.

And she complains as soon as she sees it. she cant believe I charged that much for such little work. And the cake doesn't look very big. And she thought I was going to go out and buy something to put on it. Why doesn't it have his name on it? Why doesn't it say Happy Birthday on it? It doesn't have his age on it. And the parting shot "I guess I will have to take it as is because I don't have time for you to change anything

WHAT????? Are you serious????? Nobody else in town would have touched that cake for the price, what she wanted on it, within her budget, and with only 3 days notice! Not to mention the cake wasn't big enough for a baseball diamond, writing, logo, and accessories!!!

Now that I got that off my chest.. I am closing shop early so I can go enjoy a Cardinals game with the hubby!

We see this on a daily bases on CC Every time someone does this it comes back to bit them in the butt. I would've never removed a layer of cake so she can afford decorations. It's either you can afford the basic version or you can afford a decorated cake.

If a car comes standard with a CD player, AC, and heated seats for $10,000 and the navigation system cost $1000 more the dealer is not going to remove the cd player and AC so you can afford the Navigation system.

Every time you change your basic business practices and procedures to accommodate people you undermine yourself and set a bad precedent. (this comment is personally aimed at you Strubbette)

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 9:58pm
post #1751 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by j92383 

Every time you change your basic business practices and procedures to accommodate people you undermine yourself and set a bad precedent.

plus, it always turns out that it will be the cake you feel the worst about decorating. Not worth it. But I certainly understand being an accommodating person. That's me in a nutshell. unfortunately, I don't find that it pays off.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 10:14pm
post #1752 of 3221

Aawesome analogy J!

Original message sent by ellavanilla

plus, [B]it always turns out that it will be the cake you feel the worst about decorating[/B]. Not worth it. But I certainly understand being an accommodating person. That's me in a nutshell. unfortunately, I don't find that it pays off.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 10:47pm
post #1753 of 3221

A[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!][/SPOILER]

Original message sent by ellavanilla

plus, it always turns out that it will be the cake you feel the worst about decorating. Not worth it. But I certainly understand being an accommodating person. That's me in a nutshell. unfortunately, I don't find that it pays off.

Any time I try to be accomodating it turns into a "no good deed goes unpunished" situation.

j92383 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 2:20am
post #1754 of 3221

We see this on a daily bases on CC Every time someone does this it comes back to bit them in the butt. I would've never removed a layer of cake so she can afford decorations. It's either you can afford the basic version or you can afford a decorated cake.

If a car comes standard with a CD player, AC, and heated seats for $10,000 and the navigation system cost $1000 more the dealer is not going to remove the cd player and AC so you can afford the Navigation system.

Every time you change your basic business practices and procedures to accommodate people you undermine yourself and set a bad precedent. (this comment is personally aimed at you Strubbette)

I just noticed my mistake I meant this comment isn't personally aimed at you Strubbette 

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 12:43pm
post #1755 of 3221

ALast week I had an order for a 1 year old birthday cake... It was Safari theme and they asked that it be "***y!" WHAT?!?!? He's 1.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 2:18pm
post #1756 of 3221

Is the customer always right?  A couple of years ago I bought my daughter a bra from Target.  At the time they were heavily advertising just how good their brand name clothes were; super tested etc, with a life time warranty against faulty products.  After only a couple of wears the clip at the front broke.  I didn't have the receipt but I took it back as it had the target label on it and was in pristine condition, apart from the broken clip. I did not want a refund, just a replacement.  The conversation went like this;

Target rep:   "How do I know it's even one of ours, you could have bought it anywhere", with real attitude

Me:  "Excuse me", I said, "See this label, It reads Target" (Probably not very tactful of me)

Target rep:  "Well for all I know you could have shop lifted it"

I'm not very often stuck for words but I was flabbergasted.  All I could think was that the money I had paid for shares in this company obviously did not go toward customer service training.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 2:22pm
post #1757 of 3221

The customer is only always right with cheap stuff like Target clothing...my dishwasher broke after 2 years and I must buy a new one due to the fact I didn't purchase the extended warranty.

costumeczar Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:50pm
post #1758 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Is the customer always right?  A couple of years ago I bought my daughter a bra from Target.  At the time they were heavily advertising just how good their brand name clothes were; super tested etc, with a life time warranty against faulty products.  After only a couple of wears the clip at the front broke.  I didn't have the receipt but I took it back as it had the target label on it and was in pristine condition, apart from the broken clip. I did not want a refund, just a replacement.  The conversation went like this;

Target rep:   "How do I know it's even one of ours, you could have bought it anywhere", with real attitude

Me:  "Excuse me", I said, "See this label, It reads Target" (Probably not very tactful of me)

I'm not very often stuck for words but I was flabbergasted.  All I could think was that the money I had paid for shares in this company obviously did not go toward customer service training.

The customer isn't always right, but in this situation you should just stop talking to the sales associate and ask to talk to the store manager right away. Not the department manager, the store manager. Anyone who accuses you of shoplifting something shouldn't be working customer service.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:54pm
post #1759 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

The customer isn't always right, but in this situation you should just stop talking to the sales associate and ask to talk to the store manager right away. Not the department manager, the store manager. Anyone who accuses you of shoplifting something shouldn't be working customer service.

I find it's also helpful to contact the corporate office (make sure to write down the name of the associate), they sometimes even send you a coupon or gift certificate for your trouble.

Strubbette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strubbette Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 6:00pm
post #1760 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by j92383 

I just noticed my mistake I meant this comment isn't personally aimed at you Strubbette 

LOL. I am glad you said that. I was wondering what I did that was so offensive.

I normally stick to my guns on cake prices. I let this lady give me a pity party and figured I wasn't going too far out of my way to accommodate her. After looking back I really think she overspent on the entire party and took it out on me because I am a small business, figuring she might get some money back (even after me doing her a favor). I still don't regret doing the cake. It turned out wonderful and I am sure I can use it to book more with the same theme.

j92383 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 6:23pm
post #1761 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubbette 

LOL. I am glad you said that. I was wondering what I did that was so offensive. I normally stick to my guns on cake prices. I let this lady give me a pity party and figured I wasn't going too far out of my way to accommodate her. After looking back I really think she overspent on the entire party and took it out on me because I am a small business, figuring she might get some money back (even after me doing her a favor). I still don't regret doing the cake. It turned out wonderful and I am sure I can use it to book more with the same theme.

Lol I'm just happy that I was able to catch my mistake in time.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 11:22pm
post #1762 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

WOW really? I would have raised hell! I spend so much money in Target and one reason is that they have an accommodating return policy. I once took back sheets because they didn't wear well (they were pilled after a week). I didn't have anything, but my CC. I had no problem. 

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:30am
post #1763 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

LOVE. There's also these...please heed costumeczar's warning above prior to clicking this link icon_biggrin.gif http://www.captainleisuretees.com/s/T-Shirts/Cakey-and-Bakey-Tees/Fondant-*****es/session_04d9d462cd74/

I WANT so many of these Tees! LOL

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 9:58pm
post #1764 of 3221

I just had someone email me and ask me for a cake to serve 4, chocolate with chocolate filling, and 4 s'mores cupcakes. WHAT?? My s'mores cupcakes are graham flavored cake with mini marshmallows in the batter, filled with a cross between milk & semi sweet chocolate ganache, topped with roasted marshmallows and more ganache and grahams.... A crud load of work, and they are seasonal, since I hate making them. And there is a 1 dozen minimum. 

Not to mention my smallest cake that I will sell individually serves 16.....

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 10:01pm
post #1765 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

My s'mores cupcakes are graham flavored cake with mini marshmallows in the batter, filled with a cross between milk & semi sweet chocolate ganache, topped with roasted marshmallows and more ganache and grahams..

YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!  Yes please!!!! 

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 10:06pm
post #1766 of 3221

AOmg Anna that sounds incredible. Can you send them to Canada? I only need 2 though. At a reasonable price please :p

costumeczar Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 10:14pm
post #1767 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I just had someone email me and ask me for a cake to serve 4, chocolate with chocolate filling, and 4 s'mores cupcakes. WHAT?? My s'mores cupcakes are graham flavored cake with mini marshmallows in the batter, filled with a cross between milk & semi sweet chocolate ganache, topped with roasted marshmallows and more ganache and grahams.... A crud load of work, and they are seasonal, since I hate making them. And there is a 1 dozen minimum. 

Not to mention my smallest cake that I will sell individually serves 16.....

Well, they'll take the one for 16 people, but they only have 4 people coming, so they'll only need to pay you for 4 servings. Same for the cupcakes.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:38am
post #1768 of 3221

AWell, now I feel bad, since he just ordered the 16 serving cake and a dozen cupcakes, lol!

costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 12:34pm
post #1769 of 3221

A[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Well, now I feel bad, since he just ordered the 16 serving cake and a dozen cupcakes, lol!

Aw, don't worry about it. He was just clued in by you. Probably did him a favor.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 1:26pm
post #1770 of 3221

AHe'll thank you for it when he has all that yummy cake to eat and only 3 others to share it with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%