Rolled Fondant Tearing On Mini Fruit Cake

Decorating By akhanmayo Updated 11 Dec 2012 , 6:14pm by akhanmayo

akhanmayo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akhanmayo Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, iam really new to covering cakes with rolled fondant.. I made a rich fruit cake, and covered it with apricot jam. I then made homemade rolled fondant, using a recipe that involved liquid glucose, egg white and icing sugar... when i started to roll out the fondant, it was dry so i added a little grease to it, it became slightly less tearable, and i then added few drops of glycerine aswell, and kneaded it quite well, and also became more pliable than before, but not sure if its exact consistancy that it should be. when i  placed the rolled fondant sheet over the mini cake, that i 6cm boxed, the top edges started to tear...and i got a very untidy look, please can anyone gives me tips in covering this little fruit cakes, should i simply melt the fondant and pour over the mini cake, is that better? if these cakes were larger would it make a difference? please help! thanks in advance

5 replies
prettypetals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettypetals Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 6

It is usual to cover a fruit cake in marzipan. It is normally recommended that a layer about quarter inch thick is used to cover the cake but as I find not everybody likes marzipan (I love it myself)  I normally roll it out to about one-eighth thickness. The reason for using marzipan is to prevent the fruit cake "bleeding" through to the sugar paste.  If you really don't want to use marzipan I would suggest you put sugar paste in two layers.  

Did you sieve the apricot jam before you coated the cake? Leaving lumps of fruit/skin can sometimes cause problems with mould. I usual heat it up in a saucepan before I sieve it as it makes it easier to do and brushes on better.

There are several methods of making sugar paste. The recipes should be easily available on the Internet.

I have purchased mine from the supermarket this year to save time as I have a lot of cakes for family and friends to do.  

Other tips for success:

When you have put  the marzipan on the cake allow it to dry out overnight before putting on the sugar paste.

I always brush the marzipaned cake with vodka before putting on the sugar paste - it sterilizes and helps stick the sugar paste giving a smoother finish.

I would never consider melting the sugar paste and pouring it on the cake - can't see that working at all!

good luck

Pretty Petals

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 1:42am
post #3 of 6

If the mini fruitcakes have been matured with alcohol, you may use a poured fondant because it makes a simple 1/8" thick layer that tastes somewhere between a glaze and an icing. It's not a polished wedding cake finish, it's something that is easier to cut and eat. But you DO NOT melt rolling fondant to make poured fondant.  Poured fondant has ONLY water, icing sugar and glucose of some sort.

I have several customers that like a heavy 10mm slab of homemade almond paste on top of their fruitcake and nothing else.  I put boiled jam under that to stick it to the loaf shaped cakes.

To make a polished finish on fruitcake, you start with a cake that is trimmed to a flat top and any holes are packed with marzipan.   You then need a layer of marzipan/almond paste about 5-6mm thick, which gets finished as smooth as you can. Finally a layer of rolled fondant 3-5 mm or whatever thickness you can manage.

akhanmayo Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 6:22am
post #4 of 6

I used a non peel apricot jam, melted it and then used a brush to cover it. I didn't use alcohol but a tea/orange/sugar feed that was mentioned in the recipe. I did make the cake last week, and has been sitting in a tin in the fridge, but it is a little on the softer side rather than firmer side.

Unfortunately i can't seem to find sugarpaste where i live :/

Thanks for response, i shall not waste the fondant by melting, it! and see if i can rescue the already covered cake with another layer of fondant, since it's a small casual gift to my sister, and will try to make marzipan soon.

Your responses are so helpful, thank you so so much.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 6

I am a hobby decorator who loves fruit cake but hates marzipan.  Years ago it was believed that you had to put marzipan on the cakes to stop them bleeding through to your fondant.  This is no longer considered essential and if you don't like marzipan you can safely leave it off.  It can help to give a smoother finish,though, or you can add a thicker layer of fondant or a couple of thinner layers.  I generally just add one layer and have been known to leave a cake for a couple of months before cutting with no sign of bleeding.  I also do not use jam but make a simple syrup of sugar and water (boil in the microwave) and brush my cakes with this before applying the fondant and I have never had any problem with mould.  I buy the fondant and have recently discovered Satin Ice fondant, which for me is a dream to use. 

akhanmayo Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 6

i shall try out the satin ice fondant next time.

However, after applying the fondant over the cake, and letting it rest overnight, and getting worried over it, I decided to cover it with royal icing, a thin layer, and it has worked, but the taste i am sure will be ever so sweet, but its now presentable...700

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%