How Do I Store Stuff I've Made From Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By hannahcalhoon Updated 26 Dec 2012 , 5:08pm by WickedGoodies

hannahcalhoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannahcalhoon Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 5:24am
post #1 of 6

AI made a bow out of modeling chocolate. I let the individual pieces sit in the fridge over night, and when I placed them together, they flattened out. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? Did it not set up right? When I pick it up it seems to bend and tear very easily. Did I use too much corn syrup? I need help because I have to make something for a project out of modeling chocolate tomorrow so I'm very squished on time! Please help me know how to store figures that I've already made out of modeling chocolate! Thank you! :)

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 6

Hmm, I make bows out of fondant + cornstarch usually--not modeling choc.

You mean the big loopy bow? I would choose a different medium if it was me.

What is your recipe? How thin did you roll it.

You might need a little strength in there --could you knead in some fondant?

Does it have to be modeling choc?

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 6

Modeling chocolate is normally too soft by itself to make something that needs to hold its shape.  Unless I'm covering a cake with it, I mix it 50/50 with fondant. 

Also, for future reference, you need about 1/2 the corn syrup most recipes call for.  Once your modeling chocolate is cool enough to handle, knead as much oil out of it as you can. And don't refrigerate it - it's not necessary.  Once it's made, you can handle it just like fondant.  HTH

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 8:40am
post #4 of 6

Modeling chocolate is perfect for bows but don't put it in the fridge along with the cake. The refrigerator is a moist environment and that kind of climate is not good for MC - it causes it to droop. When it comes to forming bow loops, there is a trick to standing them up so that they stay standing - you don't even need to wait for them to dry although you can let them dry for 1-2 days before an event,which will make them grow sturdier, but be careful to store them in a cool dry place.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 6

I'm making a cake atm that is to covered in mosaic pieces of chocolate shards and red modelling chocolate. Would it be okay to put in the fridge? The modelling chocolate will be stuck to the cake in pieces so it won't have to support its own weight. It's hot in Australia atm so I may have to put the cake in the fridge. Also will modelling chocolate stick to a chocolate lacquer glaze okay? (Rose Levy Beranbaum Heavenly cakes Chocolate lacquer glaze). Wicked goodies I've used your recipe for white (coloured) and dark modelling chocolate. It's pretty good although when I added the corn syrup and red colour to the white chocolate it seized up on me when I mixed it then the oil seperated so I had to knead it for 15 min. to get the oil to absorb back into the modelling chocolate. (I think I may have had the white chocolate too hot and added maybe too much colour) Any ideas? Sorry to bug you with all the questions!

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 6

@Danilou,

You can certainly put a cake that is covered in modeling chocolate in the fridge. I recommend wrapping the cake in plastic wrap though to prevent the surface of the MC from getting moist.

Modeling chocolate will seize up if you

1. mix it too much during production

2. add cold syrup to warm melted chocolate

3. add hot syrup to cool melted chocolate (syrup and melted chocolate should both be warm)

4. overheat the chocolate

Modeling chocolate is temperamental but you did the right thing by kneading. 15 minutes sounds like a lot of kneading though! When a batch separates, I wait until it's just cool enough to hold its shape then I knead 1-3 times for about 1 minute each time over the course of 24 hours. That usually does the trick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%