Where Can I Find The Right Turquoise Coloring/fondant To Make A Tiffany & Co. Gift Box Cake?

Decorating By Nedd Updated 4 May 2014 , 11:04pm by costumeczar

Nedd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nedd Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 1:00am
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone!   I need to make a Tiffany & Co. gift box cake for a birthday in 2 weeks, and was hoping you all could offer some suggestions on where to find the pretty turquoise signature color Tiffany is recognized for.  I wasn't sure if I should color the fondant myself, or buy turquoise fondant.  Either way I was hoping someone could tell me the names of the brands of fondant and gel paste color perfect for this cake, and where I may purchase it.   Thank you in advance for all your help!  icon_smile.gif

17 replies
jfoster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfoster Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 1:15am
post #2 of 18

i just did a tiffany turquoise cake and i used the wilton sky blue coloring paste. i started with just a touch and added a little at a time until i got what i wanted.  with this coloring paste i will darken a little as it dries so go a tad lighter.  hope this helps

Nedd Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 1:38am
post #3 of 18

Yes, it helps greatly.  Thank you Jfoster!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 5:05am
post #4 of 18

Actually Teal is a closer color.  Either Americolor or Wiltons.  Here's the color on the cake I did:

cakecentral.com/g/i/2383438/a/2384438

Nedd Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:36am
post #5 of 18

Oh WoW!.. That is beautiful work!  Thank you so much Carmijok for posting it.  I also am panicked about getting the lettering right, can you please tell me which letter cutters you used and where to purchase them?  Thank you for all your help, it's very much appreciated. 

cakeart105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeart105 Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 18

Hi, Americolor has both teal and turquoise soft gel paste colors. I found Tomsann Cake Art Supplies has good pricing with great combined shipping costs. Tomsann carries several alphabet cutter sets ... you could probably find something there that will work perfect. Here's the store link. http://stores.ebay.com/Tomsann-Cake-Art-Supplies

Nedd Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks Cakeart105, I'll definitely check out that link.  I'm always looking for good prices, supplies can be expensive at times. 

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 18

The letters are FMM Tappits upper case alphabet cutters.  I modified the T & C to make them larger so they'd look more like the logo.  I stretched the C a bit and added height to the T by putting part of another base on it.  You'll know what I mean when you start working with it.   Don't know if you've used Tappits before but if you haven't, just make sure your gum paste or fondant is on the dry side before cutting.  Makes removal a whole lot easier! 

Nedd Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 18

Thank you so much Carmijok,  all your valuable advice is very much appreciate.  icon_smile.gif

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 9:22am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

Actually Teal is a closer color.  Either Americolor or Wiltons.  Here's the color on the cake I did:

cakecentral.com/g/i/2383438/a/2384438

BEAUTIFUL CAKE!!!! AND THE COLOR IS SPOT ON!!!!

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 18

AI have made about 3 cakes on that Tiffany theme. The best way to go on color is 1 part teal/2 parts sky blue. I used Wilton. I went online and checked Tiffany's page so I can have a better idea of their palette. Then suddenly and luckily, I received a Tiffany's catalogue (wrongly delivered to me) so I keep it as reference. HTH.

margpegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margpegg Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 18

I have the source for that color!!! Albert Uster imports has a color they call 5th avenue blue. They carry Massa fondant, gel color and luster powder all in that color. It is the perfect match!!

Best of luck,\

Margaret

Nedd Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you so much Ianana and Margpegg.. I found both suggestions very helpful.  I greatly appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 18

I agree with lanana about the 2:1 mixture of teal and sky blue. It gets the color exactly. Great cake carmijok, and the lettering was to die for. Why can I never seem to remember to let my gumpaste dry out a little bit before cutting letters? I always make it a much bigger job than it is!

Not Just Baking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Not Just Baking Posted 1 May 2014 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 18

Nice Tiffany Cake. Would you mind sharing where you bought the letters for the Tiffany letters? I have been searching for some.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 11:43pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

The letters are FMM Tappits upper case alphabet cutters.  I modified the T & C to make them larger so they'd look more like the logo.  I stretched the C a bit and added height to the T by putting part of another base on it.  You'll know what I mean when you start working with it.   Don't know if you've used Tappits before but if you haven't, just make sure your gum paste or fondant is on the dry side before cutting.  Makes removal a whole lot easier! 

@Not Just Baking

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 4 May 2014 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 18

AI use wilton blues and a lil bit of yellow

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2014 , 11:04pm
post #18 of 18

AI use wilton teal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%