Poured Sugar Ornaments

Sugar Work By luvscocoa Updated 24 Jan 2013 , 12:55am by costumeczar

luvscocoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscocoa Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 6

does anyone know how to make isomalt without it being amber.? I need a recipe as well as knowing what type material the molds should be made of. I need to make 30 of these in next few days Help! I saw the idea on pinterest but cant find isomalt anywhere.

5 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 4:06am
post #2 of 6

If you have isomalt it will melt clear. It would only turn amber if you got it too hot when melting. You can buy it online. Regular sugar will melt an amber color.

For molds you MUST use high heat only molds, because it will melt anything plastic. Melt molds work great, lightly coated with pan spray.

bakermamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermamacakes Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 7:26am
post #3 of 6

The clear isomalt sticks melt perfectly clear and are very easy to melt and use :) 

candymakingidea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candymakingidea Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 6:07am
post #4 of 6

You might get some information on this website

http://www.candymakingideas.com

zjones4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zjones4 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 2:45am
post #5 of 6

Isomalt is easy to get clear.  Granulated sugar is impossible to have "clear as glass" due to remaining impurities.

Cook the isomalt up to 360-350ish [farhenheit] over a 1hr period.  Also, using distilled water helps.  Isomalt is made using catalyst of nickel/alluminum and can combine with minerals in your water (especially if it is hard water).

Simply put, cook a while with clean water and pots.

I like to add a touch of water before cooking my isomalt which seems to helps as well.  It does not matter how much water you use as it evaporates away. (i do not like the pre-cooked sticks as they are temperamental in my experience.)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 12:55am
post #6 of 6

You don't need to cook it for that long, just long enough to get it to the right temperature. I only cook it to 340 degrees, and if you use distilled water that does make it stay more clear. Don't stir it with a wooden spoon,that can make it react. I did a video on how to cook isomalt on youtube, it's a little long but I mention tips that came to mind while I was cooking it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%