Eggnog Ganache?

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 9 Dec 2012 , 11:43pm by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 14

AEver done this?

I usually use Michele's (inspiredbymichelle) ganache 2:1 or 3:1 ratios. My thought was to do a white chocolate ganache using eggnog instead of the cream. I am wanting to ganache a cake to be covered and decorated in fondant ( so no refrigeration or a day or 2.

What do you think?

13 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 12:03am
post #2 of 14

Could you not just add the spices to the heavy cream instead?  I'd be leery of leaving it out with the actual eggnog.

CiNoRi Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 12:50am
post #3 of 14

AYeah I was just thinking about that. Any recommendation of amounts?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 1:58am
post #4 of 14

I'd start with whatever measure of heavy cream you need and add your spices a bit at a time till it tastes right. . . you'll want cloves, vanilla, cinnamon, rum and of course nutmeg.  With the white chocolate you won't need to add any sugar.  I'd make it a little stronger flavored than you want the end product to be, since the chocolate will dilute the end product.

CiNoRi Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 2:07am
post #5 of 14

ACool thanks,I assume rum extract won't seize the ganache?

Thanks again!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 2:35am
post #6 of 14

Try LorAnn eggnog candy oil flavour--it will work in ganache for sure.  A good rum extract can be premixed with the cream and then used without seizing.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 2:39am
post #7 of 14

I put extracts in the finished but still warm ganache and mix it through. No seizing issues.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 2:52am
post #8 of 14

Actually, I was thinking real rum, but extract should work too.  Just make sure you mix it into the cream.  If you add it directly to the chocolate it may very well sieze it, but mixed with the cream it shouldn't hurt it at all.

BakingIrene Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 3:04am
post #9 of 14

Real rum or other alcohol needs butter to be added to make it like cream.  In place of 3/4 cup cream, use 1/4 cup of butter and 1/2 cup of liquor.  

Sorry this doesn't work by weight because the alcohol weight varies with the sugar content.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 4:14am
post #10 of 14

I'm going to jump in a little late here with another question? Why would eggnog be more perishable than cream? They're both dairy products. Is it because of the eggs? Just curious.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 4:40am
post #11 of 14

Yes, because real eggnog contains real (usually uncooked) eggs

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 8:01am
post #12 of 14

I just yesterday made a batch of white chocolate ganache & used Lorann candy oil as flavoring. No seizing worries and it came out great. Just added 3-4 drops to 16 oz.  heavy cream then poured over the chips (Guittard).  icon_smile.gif 

BakingIrene Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK 

Yes, because real eggnog contains real (usually uncooked) eggs

Many recipes call for you to heat the cream for ganache to over 160F which would cook the eggs. 

CiNoRi Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 14

A

Original message sent by BakingIrene

Many recipes call for you to heat the cream for ganache to over 160F which would cook the eggs. 

I kinda wonders about that.... Yeah I'll go with the flavoring of the cream... I really appriicate your help. Using real rum would be nice....sooo I might try that first, but still have loranns on hand just in case! Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%