Icing Smiles

Business By Norasmom Updated 9 Dec 2012 , 11:57pm by Norasmom

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 15

I was contacted to make cupcakes for this organization for a sick little girl and everything had been prepared.  It was a huge time investment.  Less than 24 hours before the cupcakes were to be delivered, the aunt called to cancel the order and said "i hope you hadn't started or anything."  I was DONE!   I'm a little upset. Not sure how I feel about this charity anymore.icon_sad.gif

14 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 15

It was the aunt that cancelled?  I wouldn't blame the charity for the rude Aunt.  

I commend you for trying to make a special gift for a child who is suffering.

Norasmom Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 15

True, I won't blame the charity.  I just wish they would have a policy in place about cancelations.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:15am
post #4 of 15

I know that must have been frustrating but please keep in mind that these are very ill children, often times terminally so. Maybe the child had a health crisis and that's why they had to cancel.

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:39am
post #5 of 15

I hope this does not make you not want to work with icing smiles. I have done three cakes and also had a cancel. The smiles and joy you get when you deliver makes up for the cancel .

Norasmom Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 1:27am
post #6 of 15

Thanks for all of the replies.  I think I am horrible for being disappointed.  The health of the little girl is what I am caring about now.  That's all that really matters.    

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 2:21am
post #7 of 15

I have done two now for Icing smiles, and I have to tell you I have never had a better feeling on delivering a cake then when I do one for them.  

So sorry you had a cancellation,  I am sure whom ever got to enjoy them was thrilled to have them.  I encourage every baker to contact this Icing Smiles to get their names added to the list of bakers for them.

bakemeacakemd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacakemd Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 3:45am
post #8 of 15

Hi Norasmom - I am the founder of Icing Smiles and I can assure you that NOTHING is more valuable to us than our volunteers.  We work very hard to prevent these situations from happening but because of the nature of our work, it is sometimes unavoidable.  It is my understanding that this child you baked for is now hospitalized so the party is cancelled.  If you work with your state rep, we can find you a "home" for your cupcakes.  I don't see why we can have them sent to the hospital on the child's behalf for the the unit to enjoy.  If we need someone to deliver, we can do a FB post.  Please contact your state rep or me directly and we will get it done. - Thanks for your commitment! - Tracy Quisenberry  ([email protected]

mydearbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydearbakes Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 7:42am
post #9 of 15

I think Icing Smiles is here for a noble cause, Norasmom, I hope you will not be discourage but this one off incident! =)

On another note, I really hope there is a Icing Smiles, Singapore Branch in Singapore. I will be so happy to sign up - All in the name of charity! 

Norasmom Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 15

If I were asked to bake again for Icing Smiles, I would in a heartbeat.  It is a wonderful organization and I think the initial cancellation threw me for a loop.  The cupcakes are finding a new home, and possibly may still go to the initial recipient if she is not too sick...just the party was cancelled.  I am so happy that the little girl is cancer-free, it's just they are finishing her chemo and it is making her a bit sick.   Mydearbakes, you should start and Icing Smilies in Singapore.  I bet it wouldn't be too difficult if you spoke with the organization here in the US to find out specifics.  I hope everyone who bakes will consider making a cake for Icing Smiles!

SweetSurvivors Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSurvivors Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 2:01am
post #11 of 15

Icing Smiles sounds like such a great organization! I would love to be a part of that!

Norasmom Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 4:57am
post #12 of 15

It is quite amazing.  Everyone should go to www.icingsmiles.org and find your state co-ordinator.  Spread the word!

mydearbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydearbakes Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 5:06am
post #13 of 15

Thanks Norasmom! Will explore the idea of starting a branch in Singapore! Shall explore http://www.icingsmiles.org/ for more details =)

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 4:12pm
post #14 of 15

sometimes horrible things happen to those children that are going to receive a cake :( it's so sad for us that volunteer with the organization that the worst happens when all we want is the best. You have to take the good with the bad in this world...and it's a shame that little child won't be making it through a happy and healthy life like the rest of us :( 

Norasmom Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 11:57pm
post #15 of 15

Yes, I agree stepOnme.  Taking the good with the bad is very important.  Such a wonderful organization.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%