Impossible Cake! Can You Help?

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 7 Dec 2012 , 10:19pm by sweetflowers

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 3

My twin sons are turning 10 and their party is this Sun.  One of them does not like cake or other sweets.  No cake, pie, ice cream, nothing.  He is a picky eater to the extreme.  The ONLY candy he likes is Tootsie Rolls.

He is asking for a cake made out of Tootsie Rolls.  He does not want a cake that looks like a Tootsie Roll (that I could do!).  He wants a cake that doesn't actually have any cake in it!

Normally I would just give him a few Tootsie Rolls but this year I want to fulfill his request if I can since he had brain surgery 3 weeks ago. 

If anyone has ANY idea on how to pull this off I would be so, so excited (and grateful)

Thanks!

Cathy

Btw, the regular cake I am making for their party is a Wreck It Ralph cake.  I am making the building from the game since that is easy and putting a Ralph and Felix guy on it. 

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 3

May I suggest a test before the party?  My mother had this recipe for a chocolate slice that had an oatmeal crust and a cocoa-egg-sugar filling.  The good thing was that you could leave out most of the sugar.

I wonder if this can be to your son's taste for fudgy and definitely not too sweet.  If so then you can make a layer cake with 3 layers of this goodie baked in cake pans, and stick it together with just a little bittersweet ganache and not ice it at all...maybe put a printed image on the top to celebrate his birthday.

Let me know and I will fish that recipe out. 

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 3

How big does it have to be?   You can take a bunch of the largest tootsie rolls you can find and microwave them, just a few seconds each, until they are a little pliable.  Once soft enough, you can use them like modeling chocolate.  Combine them together and roll one really large tootsie roll or shape it in any mold you have.  You can do the same with the colored flavored tootsie rolls for decoration (we make roses out of tootsie rolls), really it can be shaped and molded just like candy clay/modeling chocolate and fondant.  You can do the same with starburst candy.  Remember just a short time in the microwave to soften it up (careful not to melt it!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%