Home Made Fondant Cracking

Baking By bymichaela Updated 13 Dec 2012 , 3:56pm by bymichaela

bymichaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bymichaela Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 8

I have been making the same recipe of fondant since starting to make cakes Jan 2011.

Within the last few months it has intermittently not been right. most of the time it has been perfect!

I thought it may be the weather but I dont recall thia happening last year at the same time.

I am using the same ingredients 7g gelatin powder with 1/4 cup water, heated in microwave, add 26g (2 tbsp) trex, 100g glucose, 5g glycerin optional 5g flavouring 2lb sifted icing sugar.

It does not come together, breaking and not holding. I will roll but you can tell it will not be good, as soon as you start to lift it it tears.

I have tried puting in microwave to warm through - this does not work

I have tried adding more trex - this does not work

Any ideas please. I binned two batches last week, another 2 have failed last night and this morning and I refuse to bin them (approx £4 ingredients) - Thank you for any replies in advance

7 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 8

AHi. I'm new to fondant only used it a few times and that was store bought but I just read how wonderful Michelle Foster homemade fondant is . I don't know how to directly get to it on this website but if you Google Michelle Foster fondant the very first site is the recipe on here. I've never tried it but hheard lots of good things about it

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:55am
post #3 of 8

I cannot make a suggestion about your environment:

Just a few thoughts about the "usual" recipe

1 tb gelatin [1/4 oz = 14 g] in 120 ml cold water
1 tb glycerine [15 ml = 18.75 g]  *
½ c liquid glucose [120 ml = 180 g] **
2 lb pure sugar  
2 tb crisco [2 tb = 21.25 g]

Your amounts are slightly different

* Glycerine is not optional - it helps prevent crystallization, retains moisture and prevents excessive hardening ..

** Glucose syrup helps prevent crystallization, improves the texture and helps keep the product soft.

I do not add shortening ..

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 12:11am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi 

I cannot make a suggestion about your environment:

Just a few thoughts about the "usual" recipe

1 tb gelatin [1/4 oz = 14 g] in 120 ml cold water
1 tb glycerine [15 ml = 18.75 g]  *
½ c liquid glucose [120 ml = 180 g] **
2 lb pure sugar  
2 tb crisco [2 tb = 21.25 g]

Your amounts are slightly different

* Glycerine is not optional - it helps prevent crystallization, retains moisture and prevents excessive hardening ..

** Glucose syrup helps prevent crystallization, improves the texture and helps keep the product soft.

I do not add shortening ..

I agree, I use this recipe also, and the glycerine is definitely not optional! I don't put the crisco in the mix when combining the ingredients, but depending on the consistency of the fondant when it sets up, I'll use the crisco to knead it to get it ready to roll out.

bymichaela Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 12:30am
post #5 of 8

ACostumeczar, thank you for your scientific reply. This is super helpful but its meant to read The flavoring is optional, not the glycerine. I know I have omitted the glycerine before,, I wonder if that had been a bad batch. I won't do it again and will also take heed regarding the Crisco/trex Thank you again, will try another batch this week and let you know

crezart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crezart Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 1:17am
post #6 of 8

add more glucose and icing sugar

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 5:47am
post #7 of 8

I believe that your recipe requires 15 grams glycerine NOT 5.

I suspect that your recipe also is scaled for corn syrup which is glucose diluted with some water.  So add the required 10 grams of glycerine, and then add warm tap water slowly until your batch can be kneaded by hand.

bymichaela Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 8

AThank you for your replies . This has been a great help x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%