Ok, So When Making Batches Of Cookies...pricing ????

Baking By sfandm Updated 11 Dec 2012 , 4:17am by -K8memphis

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 5

AI recently made three different types of homemade cookies for a customer. PNB, Pumpkin, and Oatmeal Raisin. The customer paid for all the cookies, as I don't sell them by the dozen, just in batch form. They were all made with a small cookie scoop, and I charged 4 times what they cost to make. Is this the norm? I calculated my time, and supplies, gas, in with the cost of the recipe. Any comments appreciated. BTW, I charged the following

PNB $20 for 3 dz. Oatmeal Raisin $25 for 5 dz. Pumpkin $22 for 3 dz.

TYIA

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:01am
post #2 of 5

You got approximately fifty cents a cookie--which is not over charging by any means. You got all those ingredients for $16? Wow Three cups of butter here would be $4,50 for non-holiday prices.  One cup for each batch plus raisins, oats. flour, eggs, peanut butter for ten bucks plus gas & supplies and time? Oh no you dih-ent. :).

You must be just charging for three cups of the oats rather than the $2 or $3 you had to pay out of your pocket to acquire the three cups.

I don't know. I'd charge more by at least 25 to 50%. But I think you did pretty good if they were small cookies. However I have two 'small' cookie scoops and they both make rather large cookies actually. By small if you mean bite size you did good,

-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:04am
post #3 of 5

But check your math and what did you pay yourself 1920's wages?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:20am
post #4 of 5

I think those prices are reasonable.  No decorating time, eh?

I buy special ingredients from various bulk food stores for very competitive prices.  Slapping drop cookies onto a cookie sheet takes little time and I would be mixing the next batch as soon as one was in the oven. 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 4:17am
post #5 of 5

Sure you would but to me the figures don't add up. It would take at least an hour to shop, mix and bake. How much of the (one quarter of the $65) $16 went for wages? $7.50 is minimum wage that leaves not so much for gas and packaging and ingredients $8.50 -- probably used shortening or even Aldi butter would be three bucks that leaves $5.50 for all the rest? Maybe so.

And the competitive prices at different stores takes more time and gas. I can't see 11 dozen cookies in three different flavors for $16 that includes gas, ingredients, wages and supplies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%