Help With Gingerbread House Please!

Baking By jen07 Updated 19 Jun 2013 , 1:21pm by evelynism

jen07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen07 Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 8:52am
post #1 of 8

hi guys I am a new member in the Uk.  I've just attempted my first gingerbread house and fell at the first post! My gingerbread was  not rolling..... it was so dry it kept falling apart and this was using the Great British Bake off receipe too.... added more melted sugar and butter and chilled but still no good. I'm determined to have another go -does anyone have a foolproof uk recipe please  - thanks everyone  icon_sad.gif

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 8

This is American but it's the best.

Loreta's Favorite Gingerbread Dough

5 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoons salt & nutmeg & cloves

2 teaspoons ginger & cinnamon

1 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 1/4 cup molasses*

2 eggs beaten

In large saucepan, melt shortening over low heat. While it's melting, in a separate bowl stir together flour, salt and spices. When shortening is HALF melted, remove from heat and continue to stir until completely melted. Add sugar, molasses and beaten eggs. Mix well quickly to prevent eggs from cooking. Add molassses to flour mixture. Mix well. Dough will be soft. Cover and refrigerate until firm enough to handle.

*With heartfelt gratitude to Franky's Attic of old--I learned that substituting honey for some of the molasses strengthens the finished peices. All molasses made gingerbread responds to humidity takes in moisture from the air honey does not.

Bring to room temp for an hour before rolling to 1/8 inch thick bake 350 until golden brown-- 6-7 mins for small pieces 14 mins for large pieces

If it's too stiff you can microwave for 10-15 seconds to soften.

Hope you can translate to UKness.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:03am
post #3 of 8

It's not a recipe tailored for UK bakers, but here's the recipe and my top 10 tips for making gingerbread houses:

http://frogprincepaperie.com/2010/12/gingerbread-house-tutorial-and-how-to-from-a-pro.html

I wrote it up initially as a guest post for Frog Prince Paperie (not my blog), and it was picked up by Yum!  Food and Fun for Kids magazine last Christmas.  We've made thousands of gingerbread houses over the years, and this recipe is fabulous!  It originally came from a White House pastry chef (the White House has an impressive gingerbread house every year).

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 7:15am
post #4 of 8

I like to eat my gingerbread sft and chewey, but discoved that wasn't very conducive to good gingerbread house construction. I used the same recipe, but cooked the pieces a bit longer to stiffen them up.

gdcox76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdcox76 Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 8
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 8

more house patterns at http://www.wilton.com/decorating/patterns/patternlocator.cfm

The search engine works well but you have to mention "roof" or "walls" to get all the building patterns

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen07 

hi guys I am a new member in the Uk.  I've just attempted my first gingerbread house and fell at the first post! My gingerbread was  not rolling..... it was so dry it kept falling apart and this was using the Great British Bake off receipe too.... added more melted sugar and butter and chilled but still no good. I'm determined to have another go -does anyone have a foolproof uk recipe please  - thanks everyone  icon_sad.gif

Next time add more egg not butter or sugar.  

BBC4 online has links to reliable recipes.

evelynism Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evelynism Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 8

I have been using the recipe from this website for my last few gingerbread houses very successfully:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4900/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%