18Th Birthday Cake For A Male!

Decorating By LB Cakes Updated 8 Dec 2012 , 3:59pm by Rose6677

LB Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LB Cakes Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 25

Hi, can anybody help...  I've been given no brief from the customer, all she said was she wants a 18Th birthday cake for her son.  I am absolutely stuck for ideas, esp as i do more girlie cakes!!  Can anybody help/give me some inspiration?

Thanks

x

24 replies
LB Cakes Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 25

I work with his mother and she hasnt got a clue what style/theme he would like!  So i think its just gonna be a round cake with some sort of design/pattern, cant find many male 18th birthday cakes when i search, to get inspiration!!

CraftyCassie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCassie Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 25

What about a theme cake for the month?  Ex.- November (fall), December (Christmas).  Or shades of blue or green polka dots/stripes with a huge 18 on top. 

I can't believe the mom has no idea what her son would like.  Kind of tough.  Lets see pics of what you do!  Good luck!

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 12:18am
post #4 of 25

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/birthday-cake-decorating-stripes-and-bow.html

This is nice and simple cake for a male.  I only have son's so I struggle with girlie cakes.

My youngest son will be 20 a few days after Christmas.  I am making him a chocolate sponge cake with peanut butter icing, the filling will will have the PB icing with Reese Peanut Butter Cup pieces added.  I am pouring dark chocolate ganache over the top to drip down the sides, and finally I will take small Reese PB cups cut in half around the bottom border.    He loves Reese PB Cups and the Chocolate & PB combination.

Something like that might work too.   Or maybe he loves a different type of Chocolate bar or candy you could incorporate.  Good luck and have fun with it.  Boys aren't too hard to please when it comes to cake.

kiwimiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwimiriam Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 4:57am
post #5 of 25

For the male members of my family I normally do a Kit Kat barrel cake, or a cake covered in ganache with chocolate drizzled over it.

I don't do any fondant for the males.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62668700@N03/6913388552/in/set-72157627847421964

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62668700@N03/7771589448/in/set-72157627847421964/

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 5:14am
post #6 of 25

A

Original message sent by LB Cakes

[COLOR=800080][B]Hi, can anybody help...  I've been given no brief from the customer, all she said was she wants a 18Th birthday cake for her son.  I am absolutely stuck for ideas, esp as i do more girlie cakes!!  Can anybody help/give me some inspiration?[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080][B]Thanks[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080][B]x[/B][/COLOR]

Hmmm... I think a "girlie" cake is exactly what an 18-year old male would like.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 8:58am
post #7 of 25
Quote:

Hmmm... I think a "girlie" cake is exactly what an 18-year old male would like.

I Agree! how about a version of this cake - you could include a pole to help her stand up or you could do it lying down- if you go for standing use chocolate buscuit cake and modelling chocolate it's actually really easy!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 9:05am
post #8 of 25

This is a mother buying a cake for her teenaged son. I doubt that the average mother would appreciate the cake maker providing a pole dancer for her to give to her son.

Here's some less girlie ones.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1786340/

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2337473

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2031107/

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1997651/

MsGF Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

This is a mother buying a cake for her teenaged son. I doubt that the average mother would appreciate the cake maker providing a pole dancer for her to give to her son.

I totally agree with mcaulir.   I have 2 son's and would never present either of them with a rude cake.   Got to love it when rude and immature people hijack your innocent post.

Good luck with your cake.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 25

Go to www.wilton.com and look along the left side of the homepage for the link "pattern locator".  There are many many patterns for all kinds of cakes that can be searched by theme.  You can then use them as you think best--buttercream transfers go over well because they are completely edible.

But it won't hurt to ask for some guidance like favourite flavour, occupation, interests. Also ask about ALLERGIES.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGF 

I totally agree with mcaulir.   I have 2 son's and would never present either of them with a rude cake.   Got to love it when rude and immature people hijack your innocent post.

Good luck with your cake.

Wow.  O.o

Sorry if I caused offense.  I thought it was a funny play on words.  Obviously, it wasn't serious.

MsGF Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 25

Dr_Hfuhruhurr       I was a bit offended, but no harm done.  I apologize for the not nice words.  As a mother I feel it would be highly inappropriate  for a mother to give her son a cake like the one you suggested.   Those types of cakes are best left to be given by friends.  Since the OP was about a cake from a mother to a son your ideas made me uncomfortable.   And I did just get your PM.

I apologize for my not nice words and I'm sure you were just kidding, it just took me off guard.

Take care

MsGF

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 25

I love the look of the argyle on cakes...

MMueller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMueller Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hfuhruhurr 

Wow.  O.o

Sorry if I caused offense.  I thought it was a funny play on words.  Obviously, it wasn't serious.

I found it rather amusing actually. 

Based on LB cakes profile I think we can all rest assured that we're talking to a capable adult. I'm sure they're quite able to make a tasteful decision about what cake will be presented to the client in question regardless of any humor that might be interjected here. 

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 10:02pm
post #15 of 25

Lets keep it nice and non-judgy, everyone.  This thread has been flagged and I've gotten 2 separate PMs about it.  I don't see the fuss, so if ya'all can't get along it'll just be deleted.  

MMueller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMueller Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 25

You could make him a 007 cake, or, a big #1 and a #8 on a covered cake board and make each number a different flavor with a different filling sort of like this one: 

http://www.londoncake.com/images/002723%20Tom's%20Personalised%2018th%20Birthday%20Cake.jpg

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 11:42pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGF 

Dr_Hfuhruhurr       I was a bit offended, but no harm done.  I apologize for the not nice words.  As a mother I feel it would be highly inappropriate  for a mother to give her son a cake like the one you suggested.   Those types of cakes are best left to be given by friends.  Since the OP was about a cake from a mother to a son your ideas made me uncomfortable.   And I did just get your PM.

I apologize for my not nice words and I'm sure you were just kidding, it just took me off guard.

Take care

MsGF

Thanks for the apology.  Not sure if it matters, but by "girlie" cake, I was referring to those giant cakes where the real girl pops out (which I think might only exist on TV).  Hence, the funny.  I didn't think anyone would mistake that for actual advice.

Anyway, lest I be accused of not offering anything helpful aside from (attempted) humor... There have been some great suggestions in this thread already.  I particularly think a hamburger cake is pretty broad and likely to please.  But, let me also suggest the possibility that there may be no living 18-year males currently located on the planet Earth that don't enjoy videogames.  (For the record, that's a joke, too--there's probably one kid out there spending all of this time whittling, or something).

Seriously, though, I worked as a background investigator for over ten years, and when asking the friends of young men entering the military what their hobbies were, I heard "videogames" 99.9% of the time.  It's reaching the critical mass of music or sports, truly.  Anyway, if the mother is willing, see if she can just ask what her son's favorite videogame is.  Or, take a look at his game shelf and find out the name of the game with the most beaten-up box.  That could provide a really fun topic for a cake, particularly if you do sculpted cakes.

Just a thought.  Good luck with it.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 2:51am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hfuhruhurr 

Thanks for the apology.  Not sure if it matters, but by "girlie" cake, I was referring to those giant cakes where the real girl pops out (which I think might only exist on TV).  Hence, the funny.  I didn't think anyone would mistake that for actual advice.

Anyway, lest I be accused of not offering anything helpful aside from (attempted) humor... There have been some great suggestions in this thread already.  I particularly think a hamburger cake is pretty broad and likely to please.  But, let me also suggest the possibility that there may be no living 18-year males currently located on the planet Earth that don't enjoy videogames.  (For the record, that's a joke, too--there's probably one kid out there spending all of this time whittling, or something).

Seriously, though, I worked as a background investigator for over ten years, and when asking the friends of young men entering the military what their hobbies were, I heard "videogames" 99.9% of the time.  It's reaching the critical mass of music or sports, truly.  Anyway, if the mother is willing, see if she can just ask what her son's favorite videogame is.  Or, take a look at his game shelf and find out the name of the game with the most beaten-up box.  That could provide a really fun topic for a cake, particularly if you do sculpted cakes.

Just a thought.  Good luck with it.

And he probably whittles video game controllers wistfully while wishing he had a real one. :)

LB Cakes Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 7:33am
post #19 of 25

Thank you to everyone for your great advice!  For the cake i did, green, blue black pinstripes with marbled fondant balls around the bottom and a huge 18 on top!!  They loved it!

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 10:52am
post #20 of 25

Can we see a pic?

LB Cakes Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 9:12pm
post #21 of 25

AI uploaded a pic...... ! X

crezart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crezart Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 4:52am
post #22 of 25

LB Cakes Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 8:16pm
post #23 of 25

andreamak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamak Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:25am
post #24 of 25

I found it comical as well :)

I agree with argyle, or stripes always work well for males. 

Rose6677 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose6677 Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 3:59pm
post #25 of 25

AA gift/present looking cake works well too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%