Electric Bc Smother For Sides Of Cake

Decorating By ninatat Updated 6 Dec 2012 , 6:47pm by costumeczar

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all, i know i saw one on tv and i know it's probable expensive, but do you know what site's  i can fine an electric or crank device to smoothe the sides of bc cake's thank you

14 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 15

Seriously?  I would never buy that.  Just practice with a good buttercream recipe and a bench scraper and you can get the sides of your cake smooth.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 15

AWTH? How could something like that ever work?

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 15

Could you post a pic of this?  or a website?  I have never seen one!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 15

I've seen pictures of factory machines that do this, but never anything for a home kitchen.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 15

Check out the round cakes at about 2:47. That icing looks like it's made of plastic, though. Yuck.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 15

AWhat butter cream recipe are you using? Is it a crusting one? If it's a crusting one you can smooth your cake out as goof as you can get it than let it sit for like 20 minutes to let it crust up than with a viva paper towel place the paper towel over your cake and gently rub the cake. Move the paper towel around top and sides you can get a cake really smooth doing this. Also crumb coating than putting it in the frig for awhile to firm up helps a lot too. Go to owe.designmeacake.com and watch her video om how to frost a bottercream cake

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 15

AOpps that website is www.designmeacake.com

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 15

Last year I took a class on icing cakes at White Flower sake shop in Akron OH the girls at this particular shop used a Stainless steel 6" spackler with a handle. WORKS GREAT! It gives me better control than I get with a spatula or bench scraper.

There is a website called Craftsy and that site offers a video tutorial on frosting with buttercream and It's freeeee!. :o) I like free!

Also! It was refreshing to watch a few of the classes and realize that the famous cake decorators make mistakes too and dont get the frosting perfect on the first try either! Just keep going!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 15

It doesn't matter what kind of buttercream you use.  None of my recipes crust and they smooth beautifully.  I don't think you should need a paper towel or roller or anything else to smooth a cake.  Just get a bench scraper and a cake dummy and practice.  I can ice huge tiers in 5-10 minutes, but I have also been decorating for a long time so I have had more than my fair share of practice.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 15

OMG! Costumeczar - I watched that video and was absolutely mesmerized!!!  What an amazing machine!  Think Buddy put a set up like this in his new factory?  I can't imagine there are alot of places that do enough volume to justify something like this, but it was sure entertaining to watch.  Thanks for posting it!!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 15

I've seen several of the Unifiller videos in the past, and to me it looks like they are sucking the soul out of cake decorating. 

Bite_Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bite_Me Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 15

AWow. Thank you for sharing.

What a great link to send clients who say "How much? It's only cake. But I can get cheaper from X store" (fill in the blank). This demonstrates fantastically what you get (or don't get) when you buy a 'shop bought' cake. What you don't get is skillmanship, craft, individualism, art, attention to detail, affection, love.... And so many other things that go into our cakes.

Super clever and really fascinating to watch, but yuck! Not for me, thanks.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 15

Mmmmmmm....mass produced cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Dec 2012 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 15

I can't help thinking of a big "SQuishhpfttpffttttthppth" sound every time that thing starts squirting icing out of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%