Buttercream Crumb Coat/filling

Decorating By Shelma77 Updated 20 Nov 2012 , 4:02am by Shelma77

Shelma77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelma77 Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 4:08am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how long your meant to let your buttercream filling and crumb coat set for before covering the cake in fondant.

I used buttercream for the first time on the weekend and let it set for a few hours at room temperature but when i put the fondant on you could see where the filling inside the cake as at it seemed to soften a litte.

Should i be putting it in the fridge and letting it set for a few hours???

Any advice would be appreciated as i have to make another cake for this weekend.

2 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:27am
post #2 of 3

What kind of buttercream?

Butter-based American BC?

S/IMBC?

Crusting Buttercream?

That's going to determine how you handle the cake before fondant. For butter-based and S/IMBC, stick the cake in the freezer for 15-20 minutes till firm (but not so much that the cake beneath gets frozen), and then cover with fondant. 

Can't help with Crusting BC. Sorry.

Oh, and for the filling: Some people fill the cakes and then place a weight on top and allow to settle (either at room temp or in the fridge from a couple of hours to overnight). You'll have to experiment and see what works for you. I just press down firmly on the layers after filling and move on to crumbcoating.

Shelma77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelma77 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:02am
post #3 of 3

The buttercream I use is primarily made of butter, dark chocolate & icing sugar. so im assuming its classed as a butter based cream. Thanks for you reply,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%