Jessicakes Fondant Transfer Technique

Decorating By LizzieAylett Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 4:37pm by BellaCakes2012

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 13

Hi, I tried this morning to do a cake with horizontal stripes on it.  It was fondant with fondant stripes, so I tried using what I remember of Jessicakes technique - draw out template on greasproof paper, coat in a thin layer of marg, then lay out stripe on top.  My problem was that, although I'd also put a thin smear of marg on the outside of the cake, the stripes just stuck to the paper rather than the cake.

Am I missing out a step?  Why wouldn't it transfer properly?  The fondant I used for the stripes was quite old and a bit dry - do you think that would have made the difference? 

It was just for a fun trial this time, but I would like to know for future use and she has removed her instructions from her website pending "developments".  Thanks.

12 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 13

She didn't put a thin layer of marg on the cake, she only wet the strips on the back just prior to putting them on the cake.  Damp fondant will stick together.

On the parchment she rubbed a very thin layer of shortening.

Marg won't stick to marg.

HTH   

LizzieAylett Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 13

AH, that might explain it - thanks.  I just couldn't quite remember exactly how she'd done it, but knew that a lot of Americans use marg/Crisco for things I wouldn't expect.  I will try it again some time, but using water on the stripes.

Thanks again.

delaila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaila Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 13

hi, i discovered there was a technique just recently, but i can't find the tutorial anywhere. seems like it was removed for some reason. can anyone exlain it to me??? i would live to try it out!!!! :)

LizzieAylett Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 13

Hi, yes, she says she has taken them all down as she is re-doing them and making new videos, to be revealed shortly! 

Hopefully they'll come soon as she's very good at teaching.

In the meantime, if you email her I'm sure she'll be happy to explain to you how to do this technique.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 13

it's not a video but the pictures explain her technique:  http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/maddies-fashion-birthday-cake.html

KellyMorgin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyMorgin Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:45am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFood4 

it's not a video but the pictures explain her technique:  http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/maddies-fashion-birthday-cake.html

Thank you! 

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 4:57am
post #8 of 13

She has many of her tutorials on sale at craftsy.

Nubianisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nubianisme Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 10:50am
post #9 of 13

The directions are in her class on Craftsy.

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 13

I didn't know she had plans of putting her videos back up. I thought she took them down since they are all covered in her craftsy class. If anyone is interested in her class, go to her blog and click to her craftsy class through her link you'll get it for $19.99 (1/2 off). I hear it's a great class, it's getting really good reviews.

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 13

I will concur. I just watched the whole thing, and I will watch it again this week.

She used wax paper, smeared a small bit of Crisco on the wax paper, laid the strips of fondant, chocolate clay, or other down in the pattern she wanted, brushed small amounts of Crisco on top, and then applied them to the cake. You can also use a 50/50 of corn syrup and water, or a sugar glue. After the design was applied, she wiped off the Crisco she could see with a small paint brush.

Louisasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louisasmom Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 13

To those that have taken the Craftsy class - is there more to the class than just the transfer technique described here and in her blog link posted here?  Am debating on whether to spend the $20 on it.

thanks!

Barb

BellaCakes2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaCakes2012 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 13

Her class is well worth the money! She shares a lot of tips that are very useful. You wont be disappointed the value of return is higher than the cost!!! ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%