Friday Night Cake Club For 11/16/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 20 Nov 2012 , 4:43am by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 2:39am
post #1 of 11

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's Up? Whatcha' working on?

Cat

10 replies
catlharper Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 2:43am
post #2 of 11

Hi everyone!

It's been a great week for me! Two birthday cakes this week. One is for a long time client. I do her daughters birthday cake each year and this year was an Under the Sea theme. It was SOOOOO much fun bringing this one to life. Making all the cute little critters and then putting it all together.

Then today I did my husbands birthday cake, a Mickey Sorcerer's Hat. It actually went together better than I thought it would but by the time I got to the gold dust finish I knew it was a cake I would be very proud to share. 

I'm very picky about my cakes...always going really hard on myself...but with these two I'm pretty pleased with how they both turned out. 

Here is the hat: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2856421/a/8/flat/0

and here is the Sea cake: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2856220/a/60/flat/1

Hoping to see your fun stuff this week too so please do share!

Cat

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 3:16am
post #3 of 11

Good evening. LOVED the Hat and Under Sea cakes.  I'm busy cleaning my home tonight and pulling out all my Christmas molds/pans/cutters, etc., and putting up all my Halloween stuff that is all over the kitchen.  Tomorrow several members of my local Cake Club will be coming by to make chocolate covered Oreo's for our Holiday party goodie bags. 

I have 4 frozen 10" layers (pumpkin spice and red velvet), that I plan on using for Autumn cakes for the offices of my niece and her husband.  If I don't get to them in time, they may become "Christmas" cakes (lol). 

catlharper Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 4:09am
post #4 of 11

LOVE chocolate covered oreos...it is one of the "candies" I'm making for my pamper basket Christmas gifts this year. I love making the "tuxedo" ones. 

I know all about "Christmas" Cakes...there is always one that I have in the freezer that suddenly has to make an appearance on Christmas day<G>

Cat

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 4:31am
post #5 of 11

Evening Cat and Apti, 

Love the Mickey hat Cat, love the little lobsters.  I love doing the underwater ones too , I did something similar for my God daughter last year , her mother had to make her cake this year as I was too busy last week to fit it in, she wasn't having a party though and my best friend decided to give it a go. 

Well I may have been conspicuous by my absence last week, but I so assure you all I was hard at work . 

I did three weddings that week , two finished completely and ready for delivery by Thursday , in time for me to box up the third and board a plane and fly halfway across the country with it. I then spent five hours on Friday morning completing the piping on the cake and doing the finishing touches.  Then I got to relax and just be a wedding guest for the rest of the weekend. 

The wedding was lovely in the Grounds of our Old Parliament house, we had to wait a little for the bride to arrive as some of the Traffic was held up with The Royal Couple Prince Charles and Camilla were there earlier for some function.  

So the Three I did this week 

Dragons again 

http://cakecentral.com/g/a/3266500/hearts-and-dragons/

The one I flew across the country with

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2855871/u/779855/flat/1/

and the one I had to have delivered up a mountain by someone else. ( I was glad when I got the text it was delivered )

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/ShelDalton/cakes/Wedding%20Cakes/101_0252.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/ShelDalton/cakes/Wedding%20Cakes/101_0250.jpg

After all that I came home to my Mum breaking her hip so no rest for me this week . 

Chellescakes Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 4:35am
post #6 of 11

If those links don't work they are all on my facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Chellescakecouture

Chellescakes Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 4:38am
post #7 of 11

Apti , Pumpkin Spice cakes sound nice, 

Christmas cakes here are Rich Fruitcakes traditionally, I have 27 of them maturing in my cake room at the moment , I still have more to do though ,I guess I will soak up the fruit tomorrow. 

catlharper Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 4:45am
post #8 of 11

Chelle,

I DID wonder where you were last week but then there were not many of us here last week. I know that when the Holidays hit this group will be hit and miss by most. I love all the cakes but the Dragons steal my heart! SOOOO cute! The wedding cakes are just lovely. Not sure how cool I'd be about having someone else deliver one for me tho'...you were BRAVE! 

I'm looking forward to this next week and the comforting flavors of our Thanksgiving week. Roasted turkey, homemade rolls, candied yams and pumpkin pie. All sorts of really yummy stuff and NO work for me. I get a whole week off! Then it's back to my normal Winter craziness! LOL!

Cat

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 11

Those are gorgeous cakes (as always!), Chelle.  27 fruit cakes maturing?  Are you a fruitcake hoarder?  (hee hee hee).  Your home must smell FABULOUS.

Glad you get a whole week off, Cat.  You must know how to say the "No" word.

Chellescakes Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 11:28am
post #10 of 11

thanks Cat and Apti,  I loved the dragons myself , I almost didn't want them to leave. 

Apti , my cake room smells amazing . I wish I could hoard them , I do always have a few on hand  for special visitors or the odd birthday or wedding that might want one. 

Cat it seems strange to me you talking about winter when it is getting so hot here now. We don't have our Turkey until Christmas, but I will order mine soon , along with the prawns and other seafood and pork and ham.  I am doing Christmas here this year. So I guess the requests for all the special dishes that everyone wants will start. 

catlharper Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:43am
post #11 of 11

I really try not to book for Holidays. I know that there will be SO much family stuff that to add business on top would be a recipe for disaster! 

Chelle, I bet it sounds weird to you guys since it's becoming summer there! LOL! For us, Thanksgivings centerpiece is a roasted turkey. I know lots of families who also have it for Christmas too but we have ham. I don't have a lot of cooking to do this week, some candied yam and pumpkin pies, but this week I'm putting together our Christmas gifts since a bunch of them have to go out in the Post in a week or so in order to get to family on time. Fortunately for me our 11 year old son is with our daughter and her husband in San Jose till Thanksgiving dinner so it's giving me lots of time to get my stuff together.

As for fruit cakes...nope, we don't "do" those in our family. My husband's aunt use to make them but no one would actually eat them! LOL! I think the only person who lives anywhere near us who would eat a slice is my mom. Thanksgiving means pies for us. Pumpkin and Pecan Pies mainly. Christmas brings cake. Tonight we did some more celebrating for my husbands birthday. Went out to dinner with my mom which is always fun. He's been spoiled royally this year!

See ya Friday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%