Whipped Icing + Fondant?

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 16 Nov 2012 , 6:26pm by sweetcakes

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 4

Im doing an Icing Smiles cake and they have requested whipped icing with fondant.

I usually only use Bettercream mixed with sleeved fruit filling as a filling.  so my questions are

can i ice the cake with 'bettercream' and then either cover with fondant or just use some fondant

decorations on it?  How well does the fondant keep on a bettercream iced cake?

and will straight bettercream smoosh out when used plain as a filling?

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 4

I have iced a cake in Bettercream and added some fondant accents....but I would never, ever cover it in fondant.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 4

Bettercream/Pastry Pride/Rich's and all other whipped toppings will not work with fondant. Believe me, I speak from experience.

There is too much moisture in the topping and once it comes in contact with the fondant it becomes a gooey drippy mess. If the fondant does not slide off the cake, it will most definitely drip and puddle at the bottom.

I frost all my cakes with Pastry Pride. Once I cut out polka dots out of fondant and put them on the frosted cake. Within less than 30 minutes they slid off and left a colored, sticky trail. They melted off.

However, I have had success with adding fondant and gumpaste (which will also melt) accents by thinly coating the back of the decoration with melted chocolate. If you look at my gallery and see a cake with fondant/gumpaste accents, they were definitely coated with melted chocolate and then placed on the cake.

Good luck!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 4

thank you, your replies are exactly what i thought.   I just hate not being able to give the recipient what they want. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%