Rough Price Of How Much You Would Pay Please

Business By beckybakes617 Updated 19 Nov 2012 , 1:27pm by beckybakes617

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 10

Just pricing my cakes and I'm having a hard job of estimating a good price for some of the ones where there's a lot of work gone into them.

I have attached some photos and would like opinions of what you'd pay for the cake please.

Thank you icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Jhaenka1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jhaenka1977 Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Becky, I'm new to cake decorating, so I don't have too good an idea how much to charge, either.  But, I would be willing to pay $150 for this cake. I know how much time is invested in cake decorating, but there are a lot of people who do not. I have found it helpful to let my customers know how much time was invested in making their custom cake.  Beautiful work, by the way! 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 10

AHow much did the ingredients cost for that cake, and how many hours did it take you to complete it?

beckybakes617 Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 10

I haven't calculated all the materials involved as it was for a friend and I'm just starting out. I just want a rough idea of how much someone is willing to pay for a cake like this. It took me 5 hours (I think) to make and design. I was hoping somewhere in the region of $130- 170 as I don't want to undersell myself yet don't want to be overpriced.

Anymore opinions on what would be a good price range pretty please icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 10

how many servings is it?

beckybakes617 Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 10

10 servings as it's quite tall

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 10

Becky, we have no idea of where you live, what your local minimum wage is, how much your basic ingredients cost.  We cannot possibly name you a good price.

YOU must set your price based on your wage and your costs.

If you need a better idea, call some cake shops in your area and pretend to be a potential customer.  Ask how much it would cost you to buy the cake in your picture. Then you will know what your area price range should be.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 10

To me it seems to be a 6in. by 10in. tops.  maybe 25 servings ? 25x3.00=75.00     or   25x4.00=100.00        But since I am a hobby baker and do not have the experiance of a pro  for me total price would be $ 85.00  if it only is the size that I presume.  The cakes that I have made so far....take me hours and hours to make, if I started charging someone by all the hours it takes me no one  would be able to afford me!!     So if I ever do it as a business I would charge   cost of ingredientsx3= price of product. This is my opinion, you do not have to agree with it.icon_wink.gif

Good luckthumbs_up.gif!

Ciao!

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 5:27am
post #9 of 10

AI would say since its only 10 servings that I would pay maybe $60-$70 if that. 10 servings isn't very much and I would only pay that for a very special occasion. Like the others said though. You must decide how much your time is worth. No one else can decide that for you. Good luck!!

beckybakes617 Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 10

Just wanted to thank you for all your replies icon_biggrin.gif I now can now guesstimate a rough price and feel a bit more confident about not over pricing/underpricing! 

xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%