Fresh Flowers

Decorating By TheSugarLab Updated 27 Jan 2013 , 7:52pm by jamwlk03ssn

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 6:18am
post #1 of 10

I know there have been several posts about Fresh Flowers on cake. However, I didn't really find an answer to what I need to do. First general questions: How do you put fresh flowers on a cake while ensuring food safety? Do you meet up with the bride's (or client's) florist? Do you put them on the cake or allow the florist to do it while you stand there? Do you have anything in your contract that says you are not responsible for the food safety of the flowers?

My specific question: I was just booked to do a cake similar to this-http://wedding.allwomenstalk.com/rustic-wedding-cakes-to-complement-your-theme/ (the first cake). The bride and groom want the flowers/succulents to be similar to the picture. She's given me the name of her florist. How would I go about putting the flowers on the cake? The wedding is Jan. 1 so I do have some time to figure it out. But it will be my first time with fresh flowers. I really wish everyone could afford gum paste flowers; those I know what to do with! 

Thanks for any help. 

Ali

9 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 7:16am
post #2 of 10

I would be very weary of succulents, most of them has a sap that if not toxic, can cause rashes, swellings ect.

the most important thing is to check if the flowers are actually safe to use on food. And dont ask the florist, they always believe its safe :)

Then you need to enquire if you can get ones that is pesiticide free. I dont believe most florists claims, so I make sure that I get the flowers beforehand and then wash them myself. I use the sterilizing fluid that is used for baby bottles to rinse the flowers.

After all that I still make sure that there is a barrier between the cake and the flowers. I love the rose dome on top of the cake as I add a small piece of cellophane to act as a barrier. Your design is more tricky, but see if you can do something. Also flowers should not be stuck into the cake. I use long c o c ktail sticks that I stick into the flower and then into the cake. The flowers doesnt touch the cake.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 8:35am
post #3 of 10

AI would use bubble tea straws. I would find a way to tie a cluster of the straws together and than you would be able to fill the straws with the flowers stems than the straw can go into the cake. You can find the bubble straws online just Google bubble tea straws. Hth

TheSugarLab Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 10

AThe succulents are what I am worried about. I teach Wilton and I was talking to my students last night (they always ask about projects and cakes in the bakery). And I got to thinking about the fake succulents we sell at Michaels. Do you think I could use those? LIke wrap the stem in plastic wrap and then insert it into the cake? I know they have thick stems so I'm slightly concerened about that much going into the cake and being supported.

kazita Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 10

ABubble tea straws are big fat straws ....a pretty large stem would fit into one of them

TheSugarLab Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 10

AI have bubble tea straws right now. I would just have to make sure that the stems aren't too thick. The fake succulents that Michaels has are fairly substantial and have a stem that is thicker than the bubble tea straws.

kazita Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 12:19am
post #7 of 10

AYeah that'd a really thick stem if it's bigger than a bubble straw....I would trim it down to where it fit's than leave the straw long so that the weight doesn't pull it out of the cake

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 1:39am
post #8 of 10

What you need is something like this:

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/florwatpic24.html

You could then make a shield of plastic (you could try saran, or make one from acetate)  to isolate the back of the suculent from the cake, slip the stem through the shield into the tube and slip the tube into the cake.

jamwlk03ssn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamwlk03ssn Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 10

The stick of the flower should be strait.

And the flower must be weightless enough.

After that you will be able to set the flower in the middle of the cake.

And this will be an attractive one... undefined

jamwlk03ssn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamwlk03ssn Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 10

The solution may be -

The stick of the flower should be straight.

And the flower must be weightless enough.

After that you will be able to set the flower in the middle of the cake.

And this will surely be an amazing one !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%