Best Fondant Extruder On The Market?

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 8 Jan 2015 , 1:28pm by cupadeecakes

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 27

Hello  CC'ers

Can anyone provide any insight into what they consider to be the best clay/fondant extruder on the market?

I have one of the small black ones (with the red handle) that you have to squeeze and it is a real PITA.

Looking forward to hear your feedback.

26 replies
nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 27

I actually use a clay extruder I bought at Michael's. It's metal with a crank handle and works really well. It's made by Walnut Hollow and you find it in the sculpy section. With a 40-50% off coupon in runs around $15.00. Lots of discs included. Only thing is you need to warm your fondant first, then it extrudes quite easily!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 27

I like the Makins one. It's green.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 27

I noticed Makins have a plastic one with plastic disks. It's a lot cheaper, do you think it would be just as good?

Doritta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doritta Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 27

I got my Makins (the green one) on walmart.com , $17.54 plus tax and free shipment for store pick up, not bad !!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Makin-s-Professional-Ultimate-Clay-Extruder/15408126

staceyboots Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 10:45am
post #6 of 27

thanks guys, i'll go with the Makins clay extruder

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 27

I also have the Walnut Hollow extruder from Michaels and absolutely love it!  I had the Makins first and wasn't impressed - hurt my hand.  The Walnut hollow has a comfy crank handle that works really well and I've extruded fairly stiff fondant and gumpaste through it with no problem.  It also comes in a nice plastic case with little slots for each disc so it keeps everything neat and you can find the disc you need at a glance.  With a Michaels coupon, it was a great deal.

Dani1081 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 27

HAHAHAHA!  I was just watching the premiere of "The Next Great Baker" on my DVR and Chad was using the Walnut Hollow extruder to put the strings on the guitar! That's so funny because I just posted about that extruder on here!

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 27

Sorry, so off topic, BUT, the "next great baker" is on again??!! How many episodes have I missed? :(

Dani1081 Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 3:24am
post #10 of 27

Just the first one. The second episode is on Monday.

staceyboots Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 27

Hi

Just want ed to let you know that I purchased the Makins clay extruder from amazon.com and used it for the first time yesterday.

It was such a breeze to use and I am happy with the purchase!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again

Stacey

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 27

I have 3 different kinds, the walnut hollow one is my favorite.

Sara1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara1029 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 27

I love my walnut hollow extruder. I have only used it a few times. The only thing I noticed it that on some of the fondant, there are black streaks, like oil. Does this happen to anyone else?

AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 7:09pm
post #14 of 27

That has happened to me too. I'd also be interested in to know if this happens regularly. I tried to wipe down the inside with a tissue, but it still happens.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1029 

I love my walnut hollow extruder. I have only used it a few times. The only thing I noticed it that on some of the fondant, there are black streaks, like oil. Does this happen to anyone else?

Something like this happened to me with the Makins-green-extruder...I cleaned it many times and it happens again. I will replace it but now I'm doubting to get the same brand if it's going to happen again.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 27

I have used several of the tiny clay extruders you get at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, but I saw this extruder at last year's ICES and I had to have one!  Now, I don't know what I would do without it!!

http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/clay_extruder.html

Chineka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chineka Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 27

The walnut hollow extruder is the best one that I've used.

pinchofsweetener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinchofsweetener Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 10:12pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMACakes 

That has happened to me too. I'd also be interested in to know if this happens regularly. I tried to wipe down the inside with a tissue, but it still happens.

I have the Walnut Hollow one as well and it happens on mine too. I've tried everything but it eventually keeps putting that black all over my fondant. Might be the rubber grommet inside? That also deteriorated pretty quickly during the first half of my project and I had to put a new one in. I personally think it's really difficult to crank and it hurts my hand. I guess I'll try warming the fondant first like another poster suggested. Otherwise I'm looking for a new extruder.

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 10:44pm
post #19 of 27

AHuh. I had the same problem with my Walnut Hollow extruder but blamed it on user error. I just assumed that I was doing a really bad job of cleaning the previous royal blue color I used out if the barrel.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 8:15am
post #20 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

I have used several of the tiny clay extruders you get at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, but I saw this extruder at last year's ICES and I had to have one!  Now, I don't know what I would do without it!!

http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/clay_extruder.html

Polymer Clay Express Food Safe Extruder

I was just looking at these on the internet.  This is an old thread so several people may have tried it as well as cupadeecakes.   comments or criticisms ??

cupadeecakes Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 2:29pm
post #21 of 27

I still use mine constantly and I still love it!  I now have 2, the original, and new big-daddy size.  It make extruding fondant so easy.

buckeye9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckeye9 Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 4:53pm
post #22 of 27

AI have one of these. I absolutely love it! Norm and Zane of The Sweet Life Bakery used this in a class that they were teaching . Aft I saw what I could do with it and how easy it is to use, I knew I had to have it. Well worth the money.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 10:15pm
post #23 of 27

I read numerous threads here on CC about how to make the fondant work best in the extruder.

Warm up slightly and knead in shortening were the only tips I found. I tried this with my little red/black one.

I still got rough torn edges on my rope.  I must have missed something else.:ouch:

Prissz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prissz Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 11:09pm
post #24 of 27

Here is a video of a homemade electric extruder using a drill. I'd recommend going to about the one minute mark :-)

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 4 May 2014 , 1:16am
post #25 of 27

AAre the Makin or Walnut Hollow extruders food safe? I apologize if this has been answered before. I couldn't find the answer.

cjlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlovescake Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 5:17am
post #26 of 27

I was thinking of investing in an Artway extruder too. Did you purchase the 1" or 2" barrel? Is this the adapter for the 2" to use the 1" disks pictured below? Would I be able to use the 1" metal disks that I received with my Walnut Hollow extruder if I purchased the adapter?

Adapter Disk Set
  • Adapter Disk Set
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • $25.00 

cupadeecakes Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 1:27pm
post #27 of 27
When I initially bought mine they only sold the 1" barrel, but I did go back and purchase the 2" barrel.  I am not sure if the Walnut Hollow discs would work though.  E-mail the folks at the company; I have e-mailed them before and they were very knowledgeable and quick to respond.
  •  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%